Castaic Lagoon: Wed 4/28, Another Five Pounder

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Been working some serious overtime on the weekends lately so I got scheduled for another day off on Wed.

Had to choose between mowing the lawn or going up to the Lagoon again. That was a no brainer..... went fishing of course!!!!!

Got up to the Lagoon about 6 AM. Conditions were low heavy overcast, air temp 56, water 62, barometer 29.94 and falling slightly, very gentle breeze from SW.

Started out with the Ika then switched over to the DS. Picked up this small 1.75 lb. bass.

I had been fishing for a long time before I caught this guy. I saw the flash of his white belly several times off to my left and realized that he was circling around protecting one spot.

He was in the defensive mode, on one pass he actually hit the lure twice but did not take it all the way. Finally, after going through his neighborhood one to many time he did slam the DS.

As I was unhooking this little feller I realized why he hadn't put up such a good fight. He was badly injured in the top jaw. My little #8 Mosquito hook was just in the corner of his mouth but unfortunately somehow his upper jawbone was broken completely in half right in the middle.

I did have a little company around my spot today.

The morning was very slow today but the bite picked up pretty good after noon. There was a break in the clouds, it got sunny, started to warm up some and a pretty steady breeze was picking up from the SW. I would say around 15 mph.

The breeze was welcome though because I've found it's always better to have some when you are fishing the DS. The ripply action on the surface makes the line harder for the fish to see I think.

Picked up another small one, 1.25 lbs. on the DS.

My friend the lizard was around again today..... he was wondering where my son Mikie was!!!!

Time was running out for me. After this hookup I was hammering away with a crawdad jig presentation for a while with no results. Had to split at 2:25 to pick up my kids from school.

So at around 1:55 I switched back to the DS for one last half hour to see if I could connect again with the only thing that had been working so far today.
Fifteen minutes later, just before I had to go I hooked up with this really nice 5.25 lb. bass.

This one put up a great fight. Made several really strong runs and peeled of a lot of drag and took as much line as I would let him have with the anti-reverse off. Jumped twice and did one spectacular head out of the water tail dance for about fifteen feet before it ran out of gas.

Well that made my day folks. After 8.5 hours of nonstop shoreline attack this felt like a walk off homer in the bottom of the ninth. I was completely stoked.

As I was leaving conditions were still pretty good but getting more windy by the moment. Air temp was 64, water was still 62.

Another great day of shoreline fishing at Castaic Lagoon.

All fish were released after photo ops.
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Nice 5 lber. All the fishing has definitely been paying off for you! My dad caught a nice 5 lb 2 oz bass yesterday, being his new PB.
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

Nice fish! Sounds like another terrific SoCal day!! My kids loved the lizard shot, Any idea what kind it was? Congratulations on the really nice fish!
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
George Cawthorn

Don't know the exact type of lizard but it is about 10 inches long head to tail.

I'll try to look it up.
heylucky

Post by heylucky »

Arrgh! I mean.. thats awesome! I havent been able to fish for a week now.. I am having "LAGOON WITHDRAWALS" ! hehe... hopefully Sunday I will be able to get out there!
"Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish"
ronlehman909

Post by ronlehman909 »

Geo...I think by the size of bass everyone is catching I think the lizard is a baby Komodo dragon from the Island of Komodo. Probably brought to Castaic lagoon by a migrating bird...what do you all think?
Ron Lehman
[email protected]
George Cawthorn

Usually I don't post a picture of the same fish twice in one post but looking this over I realized the photo of the five pounder was horizontal and actually looked smaller than the 1.75 lb. bass.

This is a vertical shot which better shows the chunkyness of 5.25 lb fish and also gives a better idea of the size in relationship to my hand and arm.