California High Desert Bass Fix: 5/6

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Well once again due to all my hours scheduled on the weekend I got another day off to go fishing.

Got up pretty early, made a pot of expresso and checked out the weather forecast for Castaic. Sunny and clear... then down at the bottom of the page that nasty red bar with the words WIND ADVISORY dropped out in bold white type.

Got all my gear ready and looked outside. Didn't look too windy to me.

Figured I would go up to the Lagoon and hope I could get in some time before the wind picked up.

When I arrived at the Lagoon parking lot it looked like all hell had broken loose. The surface of the lake was like a scene out of "Victory at Sea." Nope this was not going to be the way I was going to spend the rest of my day.

Decided to check out a secret high desert fishing spot a friend had taken me to a few months ago. I have to keep it secret because he asked me too.

Took me a lot longer to get there from Castaic than I had figured it would. Left the Lagoon at around 6:30 and didn't get to the high desert lake until around 8:00 AM.

There was practically no wind at the new spot to speak of. I hiked about a mile around the shoreline of the lake through the high desert landscape.

Keeping a sharp eye out for rattlers along the trail. Didn't see any today but I was glad to have the snake proof boots on just in case!!!

Cactus and blooming wild flowers were busting out all over.

All along the path to my shoreline spot it was covered with flowers on both sides.

Very pretty indeed.

Finally got down to the spot I was looking for. Good shoreline cover all around and the San Bernadino Mts. in the background. Nobody else in sight, this was really lookin' pretty good.

There was a high overcast, air temp was 79, water temp was 67, barometer was 29.97 and steady. Water was stained with green algae, visibility was about one and a half feet.

I spent some time with the Ika, dropshots and some new custom tied jigs with DC craw trailers that I discovered at a local tackle shop. The guy who makes these jigs lives in the San Fernando Valley.

As noon rolled around I decided to try out another spot. Walking along the shoreline I did find a spot where there were a TON of sunnies in the shallow water.

OK... I had not seen this many in one place before so I was figuring there must be some bass hanging around. I hadn't seen any bass yet but I was seeing a whole lot of the stuff I know they like to eat.

Rigged up another freshly retied DS and pitched it out to a spot where I could see the water changing color. Figuring the transition was probably a good starting point for an ambush.

After a couple of passes through the area I picked up this little bass that decided what I had on the menue was perfect for his lunch.

This one was a baby, less than a pound. He fell for the Roboworm.

Released the fish after the photo op.

Got a text from my son.... I had to pick him up from school soon and I was pretty far off. Two more quick cast one with the DS and finished off with one pass on the Ika.

On my hike back to the parking lot I was taking in the scenery with the desert plants all along the way and the snow covered peaks in the distance.

This is just what the doctor ordered. Very pleasurable weather a nice day to be out here with Mother Nature doing a fashion show for me.

And oh yeah.... the little fish did make a big difference. It always feels better when you catch at least one.
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

You don't need those snake proof boots as long as you are wearing the camo! The snake would be able to see you, LOL!! Next time bring the UL gear for the panfish!
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Sounds like a nice day out...
Brendan C.
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Funny you should mention the light gear Fire Ball. I was thinking the same thing while I was there. Camo or not I'm sticking with the snake boots, I'd rather be safe than sorry!!!

I do know from very reliable sources that a nine pound LMB was caught there last year. So that's why I was going for the bass today.

Yes Brendan it was VERY nice to be out there. I wish I had caught more and bigger fish of course but hey there is always next time.

I'm going to be shut inside at work all day today and I feel refreshed to have spent the whole day outdoors yesterday. Won't be able to do another bass attack till next Tuesday. I'm working both days this weekend again.
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

WOW! Beautiful vistas, coriopsis in full bloom. How do you concentrate on fishing!
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York