Castaic Lagoon 5/7

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
Fire Ball

Castaic Lagoon 5/7

Post by Fire Ball »

To start off a little bit after school and I caught a 2 lb 5 oz bass off a bed a little while after getting to the first area. It was like glass for a little bit, but then it got windy after that so I moved to another spot and started making casts. I got hit and started reeling my fish in, but it felt weird and I lost it after about 10 seconds. I made another cast out to the same spot and hooked up again and the fish still felt weird. He ended up being 2 lb 2 oz and was probably the one I lost about 30 seconds before, since it felt exactly the same and it was in the same spot. That was pretty cool to do, lol. My dad ended up getting skunked, haha. The water has gotten murkier since the beginning of the week and they weren't letting more water in from the Upper Lake.

2 lb 5 oz

2 lb 2 oz
George Cawthorn

Castaic Lagoon 5/7

Post by George Cawthorn »

Nice report Fire Ball. It has been pretty windy for the past couple of days. That kicks up a lot of silt and algae off the rocks into the water.

Also the other day when I was up there I noticed the water temp had also dropped down below sixty. My first measurement was 58

You are showing good consistency at the Lagoon and that is a big plus, not easy to do or be consistent there. It is a tough lake, we all know that.
Fire Ball

Castaic Lagoon 5/7

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: geobassNice report Fire Ball. It has been pretty windy for the past couple of days. That kicks up a lot of silt and algae off the rocks into the water.

Also the other day when I was up there I noticed the water temp had also dropped down below sixty. My first measurement was 58

You are showing good consistency at the Lagoon and that is a big plus, not easy to do or be consistent there. It is a tough lake, we all know that.
I just hope it isn't another algae bloom, haha.

Really? It is showing that the water temp was rising. Yesterday my fish finder said it was about 65 degrees in Hobie.

Ya, it is definitely tough sometimes.
George Cawthorn

Castaic Lagoon 5/7

Post by George Cawthorn »

The water temp fluctuates a lot depending on how much water they let in from the top. I always measure the shoreline temperature in the shade when I go.

Also, I think that all the cold water has somewhat delayed the spawn. I know they are on the beds but I have not yet seen any fry in the water at the shoreline.

Because the Lagoon is relatively small the sudden changes are felt more by the fish and they definitely react to all the changes in unpredictable ways. As far as the Lagoon goes over the time that I have fished there the only way I can explain it is to expect the unexpected.
ukey28

Castaic Lagoon 5/7

Post by ukey28 »

If the wind is at your back the temp will be lower. The wind blows the warmer surface water away from the shore and the cooler deeper water upwells to fill the void. Its like an eddy in a stream ,but vertical instead of horizontal. That's why the windy sides has fish. The water gets oxygenated as it crashes into the windy shore, Its dirtier so predators have the advantage and this time of year its warmer too.
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York