Castaic Lagoon 6/20

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
swimbait101

Castaic Lagoon 6/20

Post by swimbait101 »

So I’m sure many of you guys know, I fish from a canoe. Well it is a pain loading it on and off the car and my dad doesn’t like it. So with my graduation money I got, I went and bought a tube. Fish cat 4. The next day I went fishing with Fireball

My dad and I go pick up Fireball from his house and we get to the lake at around 6:30. We launch at Paradise cove and we drift drops hot rigs all the way to the point separating the swim beach and Hobie. As soon as Fireball is done saying "My dad and I haven’t caught anything here for a long time", I set the hook on the first bass of the day. I reel in a nice 1.5 lber that fought like crazy. So the fish has been out of the water for sometime after I unhooked it, I put it in the water while still lipping it. As fireball is getting his camera out, the fish wiggles and I accidentally drop it. Man that sucks. So we set ourselves up for a new drift and Fireball gets one that is slightly bigger than mine.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After a small while, we decide to keep drifting parallel to the shore line. I farm like 2 then the lifeguard tells me I cant fish there since I was 5ft inside the pencil buoy. We move up to the north side fighting these weeds that would get stuck on our fins. It hurt our legs because we had to exert so much energy kicking through. Finally we make it through and we start talking to SWIMBAIT 24/7 and he shows us 2 fish in his livewell. A 10 and a 15+.
Pic of me and the 15+

After that, we move to the buoy line. Fireball immediately gets one bass.

So we fish for about a couple hours with no bites. Then the wind picked up…….I hook one and start reeling but then…she just pops off…….
I recast again and BOOM I get another one and as im reeling her in, she ALSO comes off. FINALLY, I get another strike and I land her. Not that big but a keeper

So Fireball is getting frustrated cuz I got 3 hookups and he’s getting nothing. We figure out he is using the wrong size worm. I give him the right size worm and we switch spots (3ft apart) and he hooks up just like that. It was barely a keeper so he didn’t want a pic. We continue to fish and I get another hookup. Im fighting him then he is right in front of me and since im a wuss at lip landing bass, he jumps and swims away. WTF I scream out loud. Later on, I feel a bite 10ft from my tube and the bass steals my worm  We fish more and I get the final bite of the day and I start reeling. This bass is jumping, running, and going absolutely insane taking drag and im freakin’ out. I thought he was gonna be 4lb+ but I land him and he is just 2lb 11oz.

THE END of another day at the ‘goon.

F.Y.I. Fireball's fish look bigger ONLY because he is small and i am not so skinny.
Fire Ball

Castaic Lagoon 6/20

Post by Fire Ball »

Lol, nice report. You said you were really bad at writing reports... Apparently not! I took you to my spots and told you what color Robos to buy. You better thank me, haha.
ronlehman909

Castaic Lagoon 6/20

Post by ronlehman909 »

Hi Guys...Love the competition all you younger fishermen have fishing the Goon! Enjoyed your pictures and written comments. I'm buying my new pass the 1st of July so see you out there soon.
Ron Lehman
[email protected]
swimbait101

Castaic Lagoon 6/20

Post by swimbait101 »

Yeah man awesome i havent seen you for a while out there. The only way i can tell if its you is by your rods. orange ones. haha

yea, but i gave u right size. apparently, you forgot that u can cut off the first 2inches of the head of your worm to make it the right size.....hah
Fire Ball

Castaic Lagoon 6/20

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: swimbait101yea, but i gave u right size. apparently, you forgot that u can cut off the first 2inches of the head of your worm to make it the right size.....hah
Lol, I only had FAT Robos in that color and ya I did that after that fish. I slayed them today on the boat! I'll probably post a report tomorrow.
swimbait101

Castaic Lagoon 6/20

Post by swimbait101 »

gonna get alot more in that size

i went tubing like 3 days after this report and i saw a dead 3in sculpin. i wonder if i get a worm to imitate that if the bass will bite it
Fire Ball

Castaic Lagoon 6/20

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: swimbait101i went tubing like 3 days after this report and i saw a dead 3in sculpin. i wonder if i get a worm to imitate that if the bass will bite it
Probably. I have a few hand poured scuplins that I have used before, but I still need to test them for more time.
swimbait101

Castaic Lagoon 6/20

Post by swimbait101 »

yeah, the only color you use is PK and oxblood
Fire Ball

Castaic Lagoon 6/20

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: swimbait101yeah, the only color you use is PK and oxblood
What??
swimbait101

Castaic Lagoon 6/20

Post by swimbait101 »

you have no time to test other colors out because you pretty much use the 2 same colors, PK and oxblood