Fresh Pond 6-27-2010

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
ukey28

Fresh Pond 6-27-2010

Post by ukey28 »

Got out for the first time with Longcast for a day of fishing. We had hopes of using a lot of different techniques, but alas it was a bank bite only. We opened the day with a double and had steady action for most of the day. The quality picked up around mid-day with the full moon. With no weed in the pond other than pads I had a chance to put the Midwest Tackle Jigs through a decent workout and I must admit they performed well. Really nice hook in heavy cover. We flipped and pitched and had a ball.

This was a typical bugger!

Longcast gets a nice chunk!

Another nice fish!

The fish ran in three different sizes, 8-9 inches, 12-13 inches and 14-15 inches with an occasional one a bit bigger. I think they are three separate year classes. All in All a very good day with better than 50 fish total. My best 5 went 13 or 14 pounds and Longcast was right there with 12-13.
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
ronlehman909

Fresh Pond 6-27-2010

Post by ronlehman909 »

Nice bass Frank. Wish we had pads in our local lakes as they look like a blast to fish around. Is that a private lake or public?
Ron Lehman
[email protected]
ukey28

Fresh Pond 6-27-2010

Post by ukey28 »

Its a little 14 acre pond on an island in the bay between the Twin Forks of LI. Its public water, with Depths to 40 feet. In the 70's it was only smallies and someone put largemouths in in the early 80's. It took 30 years but the largemouths totally displaced the smallmouths . No SMB's reported caught in the last three years. This pond has some monster bluegills too! We got one on a 3 inch minnow soft bait drop shotted in 15', close to a pound. In thinking about the trip today, I think that fifty number is a bit light. We started the day with a double and I don't think we went longer than 10 minutes without a fish.
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
brendanc

Fresh Pond 6-27-2010

Post by brendanc »

Sounds like you really had a bang up day... boy do I miss when that place was loaded with big smallies... one of the Island's best kept secrets! It's really strange how they could just vanish almost overnight like that...

Let me know when that arm heals up and I'll take you out for some stripers at night!
Brendan C.
George Cawthorn

Fresh Pond 6-27-2010

Post by George Cawthorn »

Nice report and picks Frank. Looks like the bank beating really paid off for you guys. you've got a lot of good catches there yo 50!!!!!

Yeah as Ron was saying it would be nice if we had some pads at the Lagoon. For us it's strictly hydrilla city.
swimbait101

Fresh Pond 6-27-2010

Post by swimbait101 »

nice fish man. 50+ fish day must have been fun. id get a UL and just scream my head off

private ponds are the best to fish. there is no pressure and the fish are normally bigger than public lakes around the area. the private ones down south are just full of bass.

yea i wish the lagoon had pads. hydrilla sucks
rbtek1

Fresh Pond 6-27-2010

Post by rbtek1 »

Very Nice!!