Lake Mohopac - Post Spawn Bass

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Got a chance to get out on Lake Mahopac, NY yesterday. First time out as a "non-boater" in a very, very long time. Went with my cousin Joe on his 19' Champion... nice riding boat. Very narrow though and not a lot of room (his complaints, I was just happy being on the water).

We started out looking around key spawning areas and found a lot of empty beds, so we began targeting the rip-rap walls and docks around those flats. It didn't take but a few cast to connect and my first fish was a beauty, 5.3 lb Largemouth. Joe follow that fish up with a chunky 3 lb Smallie. Near the back of a big spawning flat, there was a nice lay-down tree, Joe pulled a 3.5 lb Largemouth and I doubled up with a 3 lb Largemouth also from the same tree.

We began running around the lake check the better spawning flats that had good docks on them and went on to have a great day. Lots of bass (mostly Largemouth). Throughout the day, I was able to also land a solid 4.5 lb Largemouth, and another 4 lb Largemouth, which made for a very nice 5 fish limit going just over 20 lbs. We tried other areas, tactics and techniques, but the dock pattern was producing the bigger bites, so we stayed with it most of the day. I had a lot of fun fishing from the back of the boat, it also brought back some memories of what it was like to fish as a non-boater. In the end, I still prefer being in the front of the boat! All and all a good day Flippin' docks... one of my favorite things to do...

Attached files
Brendan C.
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

Now that's a great day of fishing!!
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

It was a really great day on the water... I think I liked the the drive home the best... just sit back and let Joey drive. Nice to be able to close your eyes for a few minutes without waking up in a ditch!!! >/shocked.gif" alt="shocked" title="shocked" height="15" width="15" />
Brendan C.
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Way to go Brendan. Thanks for the report. Nice bass.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

TY Geo
Brendan C.