Castaic Upper Lake 02.10.12

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Well I had a chance to get out fishing today for the second time this year.

Decided to hit up the West Ramp area of the upper Castaic since I had zeroed at the Lagoon last week.

Was checking the weather reports and conditions last night and this morning hoping it would not be too windy. One report said wind from the south 17 and another said SW 7. I was hoping the later would be more accurate and was glad I had made the decision to go.

When I arrived around 7:30 conditions were calm wind was from the SW no more than 7 at tops. Air temp was 50, water temp was 51 sky was clear as a bell, barometer was 30.5 and slightly rising.

Started out fishing with the Senko, switched over to the dropshot for a while and then rotated into the Ika.

Water clarity was scary gin clear and on the point I was fishing there were ledges and drop offs on both sides.

At around 8:30 I lit up this puppy on the Ika using a baitcaster with 8 lb. P-Line Halo fished flylined. This one came in at exactly 2.5 lbs. and was my first bass caught this year.

Fished on till about 11 when the breeze began to pick up. Had to pick up my kid from school so I decided to pack it in and head back to L.A. Apparently the one fish I caught was the only one reading my menu today. I did get what seemed like a few nibbles but only the one bite.

I spent most of my time out on this point. If you are into shoreline fishing and get a chance to hold a spot like this with deep water on two sides don't pass it up.

We had a very warm day yesterday, the water was 3 degrees warmer than on my last visit a week ago. Mother Nature is sending some heavy signals that spring has sprung here in California even thought it is technically still winter. Check this beauty out.

I will be getting out to Castaic again sometime next week.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Nice report Geo... any day on the water is a good day and with a 2 .5 lb largie, it's even better. Congrats on your first bass of 2012. Looking forward to seeing some slobs from you in the future.
Brendan C.