New Hampshire unleaded?

This is the place for off-topic posts. Have something besides fishing on your mind? Post it here. WARNING THIS AREA CONTAINS CONTENT THAT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN!!!
ukey28

New Hampshire unleaded?

Post by ukey28 »

I heard new Hampshire has gone to a no lead lures or terminal tackle less than one ounce! Any truth to that?
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
wgbassgirl

New Hampshire unleaded?

Post by wgbassgirl »

Yes Frank this is true. As a matter of fact when you renew your fishing license it comes with a small book stating this fact. Here is a link to the New Hampshire site with details about it. New Hampshire No lead Article

And after doing some research it seems other states are jumping in on this one too, such as Mass.

Here's some details from the article

State law prohibits the use of lead sinkers and jigs in all fresh water in New Hampshire, including lakes, ponds, rivers and streams. The ban prohibits the use of lead sinkers weighing 1 ounce or less and lead jigs less than 1 inch long along their longest axis.

The law also prohibits the sale in New Hampshire of lead sinkers weighing 1 ounce or less and lead jigs less than 1 inch long along their longest axis.

What you can do:

Use non-lead sinkers and jigs. It's the law.

Ask your local sporting goods store to stock non-lead fishing tackle. It's the law.

Spread the word. Tell other anglers about the problem with lead.

Dispose of old lead sinkers and jigs properly. Drop-off locationsinclude all N.H. Fish and Game offices and hatcheries (see list below).
brendanc

New Hampshire unleaded?

Post by brendanc »

This whole topic is so controversial... Does anyone even have some real solid statistics to justify the reason why these bans are taking place? There's a lot of state money (and probably some federal $$$ too) being spent on these bans, is there any validity to these claims, or is this an "over reaction" to a minor issue?

Just to be clear on my position, I am not saying I am for or against. I am simply inquiring if there is "really" a problem, and if so, how great of a problem is it?

Love to hear some other people's thoughts on this one.
Brendan C.
ukey28

New Hampshire unleaded?

Post by ukey28 »

I checked with the folks at the DEC and the reasoning behind the bands is Birds! Waterfowl picking up lead shot as grit to help with digestion. They ended up dying of lead poisoning. Now, I can understand that on a shallow marsh where lead shot was used for 60 years. But a lake? Anti hunting shows itself in many ways. Soon there will be government programs for ducks that can't fly all the way south for the winter because they are too fat from eating hand out bread!!
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
allen howard

New Hampshire unleaded?

Post by allen howard »

This has been an on going battle for years. It's all a manufactured hype. You would have to get involved with you state reps. And find out what is actually going on. A ban would decimate small buisiness owners that depend on the fishing industry.Not to mention the loss of income from fishing license that won't be bought.