You could have heard a pin drop

This is the place for off-topic posts. Have something besides fishing on your mind? Post it here. WARNING THIS AREA CONTAINS CONTENT THAT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN!!!
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

when Nate Wellman was on the stage! Not exactly the most popular guy in the contest Heh?? Personally I don't think he should be here.
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
jmukes13

Post by jmukes13 »

So... for those of us who barely know names of fishermen... what am I missing with this guy?
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

You may want to google the name and the story. He was alleged to have offered his nonboater big bucks for a 4# smallie during an Erie Tournament he won. The no boater was a standup guy who took a lie detector test and offered to pay for Wellman to take one. Wellman declined. The other tour banned him and the PAA banned him. BASS dropped the ball.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

He submitted this statement to B.A.S.S. after the incident:

Elite Series Pro Nate Wellman issued the following statement today:

"I regret the statements that I made to my co-angler during the Bass Pro Shops, Bassmaster Northern Open on Lake Erie Aug 25-27 2011. While I never intended for my statements to be anything more than an expression of my envy for his performance that day, looking back I can understand now why my co-angler would have misinterpreted my statements. My statements were wrong and should never have been made.

To be perfectly clear - I am not a cheater. I've never cheated in the past and will never do so in the future. I've dedicated my entire adult life to bass fishing, the sport that I love and no amount of money in the world is worth jeopardizing my career that I've spent my life working for. I am an accomplished angler and am confident about my future. Simply stated, I have no reason to cheat and would never tarnish my accomplishments nor compromise my future by cheating. I respect myself, my family, my sponsors and my sport way to much to bring it all down by cheating.

I apologize to everyone for my mistake, including B.A.S.S. and my co-angler for putting them in such an awkward position. Also a sincere apology to the fans of fishing for it was not my intention to tarnish the integrity of the sport."

LINK TO SOURCE ARTICLE REFERENCED
Brendan C.
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

You buy'in it?
jmukes13

Post by jmukes13 »

Given what has been reported that Wellman said to the co-angler, its a bit hard to believe he wasn't serious. Who works out a way to accomplish the pay off and the switch of the fish if they were not serious? That's a lot of detail for a joke.