Bad weather

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
johnnie crain outdoors

Bad weather

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

How about this topic: What do you do when miles from the landing and a severe storm with lightning hits suddenly? It's always a tough call for me-tournament or not.
Johnnie Crain
George Cawthorn

Bad weather

Post by George Cawthorn »

Heading for home with the lowest profile possible would be my choice.
johnnie crain outdoors

Bad weather

AS you know, we here in the Midwest are often at the mercy of the elements.Storms are often sudden and violent. There seems to be no right way to handle each situation or wrong way either. Trust in your boat and driving ability.
High winds: When faced with extreme wind, I try to quarter through the waves. Say we're going straight into the waves, this can swamp the boat. If the wave is at 12:00 I try to run the boat at the 2:00 or 10:00 position depending on which way I need to go. Never directly into the wave. I turn off my aeriator-turn on my bilge pump-secure all tackle-I've been hurt worse by flying tackle than weather. You may have to zig and zag, but eventually you'll make it back.
Hail: No good way for hail either. Usually I'll park the boat under a covered dock if possible-or a small tree along the bank, far from larger trees. I take off my rainsuit jacket and hold it over my head, protect the head and neck areas. Flat storgage tackle boxes or boat seats, even a life jacket may be held to protect your head as well. Use whatever is at hand. Never try to drive through a hail storm, you'll get your clock cleaned at best.
Lightning: The only thing that scares me!! I can't see it or fight it. Again, if possible I find a covered dock. If not which is usually the case. I'll find a small cove to protect from wind, pull up against the bank, don't be the only thing out in the open. If there are small bushes along the bank, I'll park under them. I make sure there are no tall trees nearby. I squat in the bottom of the boat on the balls of my feet. Cover my head and neck with my arms and stay as low as I can. Never stand and fish during an electrical storm!
As with all this advise, it's a worst case scenario-If you can reach your tow vehicle-do it. Any building is better than a boat as well. Storms can be scary, but never let them dictate your actions. Keep a cool head and most likely you'll make it.
I have fished through three different tornadoes, wind storms, snow storms and hail storms. You never get used to it, so learn to deal with it. Good luck all. Johnnie
Johnnie Crain
mofish

Bad weather

Post by mofish »

I look for a bridge or covered dock. Actually rode out a hail storm in the rod locker once (I was alot thinner then). Getting under a bridge is probally the first thing I look for. If I can get back to the ramp I beach the boat and tie it off to something strudy and head for the truck till its over.
Thanks,
Conley Staley
johnnie crain outdoors

Bad weather

A bridge would be nice, just about anything to cover up with a little. I've never been in a rod locker, maybe next time. I weathered a tornado in standing timber one time, limbs breaking off, lightning all around, 15 miles from boat ramp, longest day of my life!! Never even caught a fish.
Johnnie Crain