Castaic 11/8

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
Fire Ball

Castaic 11/8

Post by Fire Ball »

I arrived about 15 minutes before opening and then launched a little after that. I saw ToutOnly (from a different site) with his Crestliner at the gate, but didn't say hi or anything because I was in the car and he wasn't too close. I like how you can tell that he is TroutOnly by all the stickers on his truck advertising for his guide service, lol. Anyways, I went to my first spot looking for striper, but didn't see any boils for a long time so I decided to try and different cove for largemouth. My brother cast his line out and then got a bite in less than 5 minutes! It was a nice fish and his first largemouth! I tried to catch one too, in the same area and had no luck. I moved to a couple other spots and a different boat was in the spot I wanted to be in next, so I decided to go to an area that was pretty close. I was fishing a point for about 15 minutes and then got a nice strike and reeled him up. He was out of the water about half the time of the other fish, but his release did not go well. I put him back in the water and he tried to swim away, but he was on his side/back. I tried reviving him and everything, but I don't know what was wrong. Was his swim bladder inflated or something? I think he died, but I really hope he didn't. He was gone after I moved to my next spot and came back to where he was, but I'm not sure if a bigger fish got him, the birds got him, or if he survived. Any tips on dealing with this? After that I went and fished a couple more coves and then it was time to pick my mom and sister up for a boat ride. We picked them up and then went to a spot that I know bass like to hang around. I went there and dropped my lure down to scare the shad for fun because I hadn't caught anything for a while and a about a minute after that, while I was working the drop shot, I got a powerful strike! I set it and tried reeling him up, but after I got him half way to the surface, I felt weight come off the line! He was gone along with my Roboworm. I was determined to hook him again and then a hooked him again, this time he was hooked better and I brought him up to the surface. It was a nice size bass and I was so happy, but then he jump and I thought it was still alright until he was 3 feet out of the air!!!!! It was all in slow motion and I saw the hook come out of his mouth along with the Roboworm and the hook and Roboworm hit a dead tree! I lost him when he was only 5 feet from the boat! I was so mad! Not once, but twice had I lost this big fish! It would have been my personal best for largemouth! I tried again to hook him, but I got snagged on something and broke my line. After that my mom and sister wanted to drive around in the boat and I couldn't fish any more! I was so mad that they made me leave this fish!

My brother's first bass!

My smaller bass, lol.
swimbait101

Castaic 11/8

Post by swimbait101 »

nice man
did they let you drive that boat by yourself, your dad wasnt on board??? i wouldnt do that on the upper lake
Fire Ball

Castaic 11/8

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: swimbait101nice man
did they let you drive that boat by yourself, your dad wasnt on board??? i wouldnt do that on the upper lake
When did I say my dad wasn't on the boat? He was, but I drove the boat for a while. I can definitely handle the boat by myself or with one other person as long as it isn't too windy.