Castaic Lagoon 11/29 - Fishing with Butch!

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Hi Butch, its been a while, how are ya!!

That's cool if you say so.. I will call to clarify because I've been told by DFG officials at the lake that the rules apply to both lakes as one body of water.

Tell me then, as far as the limits go if both lakes are considered separate, can you go to the Lagoon in the morning and bag two, then go up to the Upper Castaic and bag two, and then go down to the Lagoon and bag three more on the same day?

Making the limit at Castaic Recreation Area seven Black Bass in one day?

I don't think so.

I will be starting another thread on "Black Bass Fishing Regulations at Castaic."

After all this post was about Fire Ball's experience fishing with you and has become side tracked on this technical stuff.
BUTCH BROWN

Post by BUTCH BROWN »

NO geobass it's only technical becouse you made it that way you may not have 7 bass in your limit the state limit is 5 bass only as stated dfg regulation 2009 artical 4 page 15 code 5.00.read it and check by calling your self (909-484-0167) if you want to go to the top ask for the big chef down there his name is marty wall p.s.DISTRICTS AND COUNTIES WITH SPECIAL BLACK BASS REGULATIONS ON PAGE 15 LIKE ON YOUR POST DOES NOT NAME CASTAIC LAGOON ONLY CASTAIC LAKE BOTH LAKES ARE OVER A MILE APART AT THE BASE OF THE DAM ONE HAS STRIPERS ONE DOES NOT NEWS FLASH (909-484-0167)CALL (909-484-0167)MAYBY YOU CAN USE THIS PHONE NUMBER IN THE FUTURE BEFORE POSTING ON YOUR "NEW" BLACK BASS REGULATIONS AT CASTAIC" SO YOU CAN MAKE CORRECT STATEMENTS.909-484-0167 ALL IT TAKES IS A PHONE CALL BY ANY ONE 909-484-0167 LONG BEACH D.F.G.SERVING LOS ANGLES CO.temp.dfg officers don't no everything in the castaic area.(909-484-0167)ALSO WHY TWIST THINGS AROUND BY SAYING SEVEN BASS IN A LIMIT WHEN YOU NO IT'S NO MORE THAN FIVE BASS IN YOUR POSSESSION AT ANY TIME BUT YOU CAN HAVE 3 BASS FROM THE LAGOON AND TWO FROM CASTAIC LAKE WERE THE LIMIT IS TWO BASS 18"((((909-484-0167))))and 12"or longer from the lagoon*****909-484-0167*****ONCE THIS MISPRINT IS CLEARED UP I'LL FEEL BETTER SHOWING SWIMBAIT 101 AND FIRE BALL THE ART OF CATCHING 50, 60,AND 70 POUND 5 BASS LIMITS ON SWIMBAITS TO PHOTO AND RELEASE LIKE I HAVE OVER THE YEARS.WITHOUT GETTING TICKETS FOR OVER TAKE OF BASS D.F.G.((((((((909484-0167))))))) I'LL STILL WAVE TO YOU BUT YOU NEED TO COME UP MORE THAN ONCE EVERY THREE MOUTHS REMEMBER I FISH 300 DAYS A YEAR AT THE CASTAIC LAGOON SO MOST OF THE TIME I NO WHOS BEEN THERE YOU MIST MY 18 1/2 IN AUG.AND MY 19 PLUS ON OCT 30, 2009 WHITNESS BY LIFEGUARD JOHNNY V.ALL ON LIVE VIDIO THEY MIGHT BE THE TWO LARGEST BASS IN THE NATION THIS YEAR.(909-484-0167)OR (909-484-0167 DO YOUR HOMEWORK AS I HAVE IT'S EASY (909-484-0167 THANKS AND TAKE CARE BUTCH BROWN
George Cawthorn

Thanks for giving me the phone number thirteen times in you last two posts.

It was not me who brought up the subject of fishing regs, it was Swimbait101.

But you could do us all a favor by making your next call the the Castaic Lake Recreation Area website admin and telling them that the information posted on the website does not agree with you either.

http://www.castaiclake.com/rules_and_regs.html#fishing

The website refers to the two connected bodies of water as Upper Lake and Lower Lake... ie. Castaic Upper part of the lake and Castaic Lower part of the lake.

In the meantime, untill I see it posted otherwise I think it best to err on the side of caution. Since as you point out, DFG officers don't always know what's going on.

And by the way Butch I've always considered you a friend. Earlier in this thread I was defending you over some %*^#@ garbage that was being said about you somewhere else.
wgbassgirl

Post by wgbassgirl »

As always we appreciate it when members can offer information/advice, especially when it comes to rules and regs for fishing, since they vary across the country. There seems to be some debate here, so I decided to do some research into the the rules and regs for Castaic Lagoon/Lake.
I researched both the link that was provided earlier in the thread http://www.castaiclake.com/rules_and_regs.html#fishing
and the DFG - http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/index.html.

It would appear that Castaic Lake is broken into 2 counties, (Mind that it says Castias for Ventura) Ventura County and LA County, each with their own set of rules and regs. I can definitely see how this could confuse people if they are not aware.

Los Angeles - 18-inch minimum. 2 bag limit
Ventura - 12-inch minimum. No more than one over 22 inches.
5 bag Limit

To help out and make sure that you have all the details here are the rules and regs in a pdf. file. If you go to page 16, toward the lower part of the page you will see the break out.
2009-2010 CA Fishing Rules and Regs

I hope his helps. I myself live in NY and have never fished this Lake, however, if I ever make it to CA, I definitely would like to check it out, with all the great fishing stories we have heard here.

Thanks
ronlehman909

Post by ronlehman909 »

Bassinwg6,
Castaic Lake and Castaic Lagoon are in Los Angeles County.

There is a lake in the general area called Lake Casitas which is in Ventura County.
Ron Lehman
[email protected]
BUTCH BROWN

Post by BUTCH BROWN »

It's to bad that you guys can't drop a dime for a phone call like I did this morning to let DFG no they will have some phone calls today on this matter. They said thanks for the heads up Butch it's disturbing that some of you guys can't do your home work when you are wrong. If a flyer from the lake is printed incorrectly like it is from the lagoon, I'll go today to talk to the supervisor her name is Lorie and get it posted on there website 5 bass 12" from the misprinted flyer. If you guys need money to call DFG let me no I'll send you some quarters. You really watch each others backs when your wrong to bad for this sites credibility. If your are an editor you need to not let your readers do your home work. I WON'T EXPECT AN APOLOGY WHEN YOU FIND OUT YOUR WRONG, I DON'T THINK YOU HAVE IT IN YOU! I only hope that the boys call DFG (909)484-0167 to find out for themselves what this editior can't do on his own. Castaic Lake phone number (661)257-4050 please call in a couple of days and ask for Lorie, and she will have called DGF and will give you the answer that you really don't want to hear. 5 bass 12" Lagoon LIMIT!

Thanks for nothing, sincerely BUTCH BROWN, 35 years on the Lagoon and living it! "How about you?"

P.S. Geo I get followed around the lake on a regular basis and sometimes they catch me on a bad day and I will say something to them that's not sugar coded.
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Geo, check the Castaic website. They updated it and now it says what the limit for the Lagoon is. Glad this is settled.

Butch, I sent you a message, so read it and reply if you have a chance. I have a couple swimbait questions.
BUTCH BROWN

Post by BUTCH BROWN »

BUTCH BROWN JUST GOT BACK FROM THE MAIN OFFICE AT CASTAIC LAKE TO TALK TO OFFICIALS ABOUT UPPER AND LOWER LIMIT ITS GOING TO BE POSTED ON THEIR WEBSITE TOMORROW 5 BASS 12 INCH LIMIT FOR THE LAGOON AND I BELIEVE FISH AND GAME WILL BE POSTING ON THIS WEBSITE ON MY BEHALF AND ON FNN FISHING WEBSITE IF YOU WANT TO CALL THE LAKE OFFICIAL ASK FOR LORIE, SHE WILL TELL YOU WHAT YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR. NOW YOU CAN TAKE YOUR FOOT OUT OF YOUR MOUTH AND ACCEPT WHAT AN EXPIERENCED BASS FISHERMAN REALLY KNOWS.

P.S. GEOBASS/EDITOR NOW YOU CAN POST " FISH AND GAME REGULATIONS AT CASTAIC AND BE ACCURATE " ALSO PLEASE ASK IF THE LAKES ARE CONSIDERED ONE BODY OR TWO BODIES OF WATER AND YOU'LL SEE IT IS TWO. I HOPE YOUR TOES TASTE GOOD.

ALWAYS TRUTHFUL YOUR FRIEND, BUTCH BROWN
CASTAICLAKE.COM PHONE NUMBER: 661-527-4050
George Cawthorn

I saw it. That's good, at least its there for all to see now.

Clarification is good. And to think I wasted all those phone calls to that number and all I got was an answering machine or no answer at all.

We probably fried their answering machine today.

Butch, up until today it was the Lake Website that disagreed with you not me.

Looking at toes in shoes, not in mouth. Discussion is good. I think I've been dissed enough for questioning the rules as posted on the Lake Website.

Funny how it stood up there wrong for so long confusing the heck out of so many unknowns like myself. I'm really surprised because it used to be listed as the 5 over 12" for both. How were we to know when it changed on the website it only changed for the Upper Castaic.

My other post was put up as a QUESTION, like hey Butch says this... the Lake websites says this, what's going on here.

Thanks, you've answered that for us now. Butch was right and as it turns out I was wrong. Sorry if what I said offended you... I meant no offense by what I said.

Now go catch a world record bass at the Lagoon alright already and make all of my past predictions about you come true after all.

Good luck with that, sincerely.

Your friend, geobass.