Castaic Lagoon 2/21 - Giant Hawg?

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Me and Robo Bass hit Castaic Tackle this morning so that Robo Bass could buy a couple lures and then we were off to the Lagoon. We started working the rip rap and Robo Bass saw a bass in the shallows, but he spooked it. We continued to work the rip rap for nothing. Then we moved over to another spot and found quite a few more bass, but they got spooked very easily! I moved again and then hook up on the drop shot. I reeled it in and it was a nice bass just over 2 lbs! We moved once again and then I hook up pretty fast. I reeled it in and it was another 2 lber! A little while after that, I hooked into yet another bass and Robo Bass still hadn't caught anything! I reeled in the bass, but it was only 1.5 lbs. Robo Bass finally hooked up and it was just under 2 lbs, but his line snapped right when he was landing it! He was still able to land it, because it swam up on his leg after it broke off!! Shortly after Robo caught his first bass of the day, I caught another but it was only 1 lb. I hooked up again on what felt like a nice 2 lber, but I farmed it! I was so upset! A little while after that, I catch another bass and it was 3 lbs! I was lifting it into my tube and I hadn't retied or anything after all of the fish, so my line/knot was weak and it broke, but I managed to grab it right when it broke off! It put up a nice fight until the very end and I was glad to catch that after I farm the previous one. A few minutes before we were going to leave, Robo Bass hooked into another bass, but it was only 1 lb. Today was a great day and it only rained a little bit and I am glad that the fishing at the Lagoon has picked up! The water was 57 degrees and the fish have moved up a lot into shallower water, but still not super shallow. I can't wait until spring! I talked to a bunch of people out on the water and they all seemed pretty cool. It was nice to meet you Goonie1, along with the other guys that weren't on any websites.

The first fish of the day, a 2 lber.

Second fish of the day and the first fish at the new spot. It weighed 2 lbs also.

Another bass, but only 1.5 lbs.

Another 1 lber, but still fun.

A very nice 3 lb bass!

Robo Bass's first bass of the day, weighing almost 2 lbs.

Robo Bass's last bass, but it was just under 1 lb.

Oh ya, I forgot to mention this fish!!! A 14 lber! JK, Butch had me take a picture with it to mess with you guys! HAHA!
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

It must have been nice just to hold one that big... I had an 18 pound bass hooked 3 times, but that was in the aquarium at Bass Pro Shops while giving a presentation for Yozuri... it was really something to feel the weight of a largemouth that size. Too bad it doesn't count... >/frown.gif" alt="frown" title="frown" height="15" width="15" />
Brendan C.
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: BrendanIt must have been nice just to hold one that big... I had an 18 pound bass hooked 3 times, but that was in the aquarium at Bass Pro Shops while giving a presentation for Yozuri... it was really something to feel the weight of a largemouth that size. Too bad it doesn't count... >/frown.gif" alt="frown" title="frown" height="15" width="15" />
It was pretty cool and really heavy! Haha, I've always wanted to fish for the bass in the tank at Bass Pro Shops! It would be awesome.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

I had to bend my hooks over, but every once in a while they would stick a bass... whoops! Somehow it never bothered me.
Brendan C.
swimbait101

Post by swimbait101 »

WOW which bas pro is that!!!!!!!

use 2 lb test ofr that 18lb er
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

The Bass Pro Shops in Maryland. I had it hooked with 6lb test one of the three times.
Brendan C.
swimbait101

Post by swimbait101 »

wow i didnt know they had them that big up there
it probably came from FLorida right?
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: swimbait101wow i didnt know they had them that big up there
it probably came from FLorida right?
Not necessarily from Florida, just Florida strain. I don't think it is possible for a Northern to get that big.
swimbait101

Post by swimbait101 »

but the fish bass pro has are donated from local lakes, most of the time
they dont get that big n Maryland
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Sorry guys, I missed the follow up on this post. That bass was not local, the guy who takes care of the aquarium told me where it came from and I know it was not from Maryland. I do not recall exactly where he said it came from... I remember him saying it was a Florida strain bass. I also remember him saying that it was in the lower teens when they put her in the tank and she had grown a lot. He said last time they weighed her she was 18 lbs and some ounces.

On a side note, don't believe everything you read... they may have wanted to keep the size of that bass low key...

Awesome sight to see... now I have to go dig up the old photos and watch the videos again!
Brendan C.