Castaic Lagoon 3/13

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
Fire Ball

Castaic Lagoon 3/13

Post by Fire Ball »

I went to the Lagoon today and got there around 6:15 and launched. It was pretty calm when I got there, but by the time I was in the water, the wind picked up considerably. I made my way over to my spot and then saw some crappie. I was sight fishing for them and I managed to get one! My very first real sight fish, haha! It was a nice 1.5 lb crappie. It was really dark compared to all of the other crappie I have caught. I fished some more, but by this time the wind was really bad. At 9:30 I decided to make my way back to the ramp to get out of the water. I started across, but the waves were pushing me right into the buoy line, so I decided to just get out of the water on the West side and walk across the bridge back to the East side to get to my car. I think today would have been a good day if the wind wasn't so bad. I was excited about that crappie! You really have to work for them when you can actually see them. I saw Goonie today and fished and talked with him for a while. He did better than I did with the crappie. I think I was trying to catch some of the fish that he released, so they didn't want to get caught again, lol.

My nice 1.5 lb crappie. Released.

ukey28

Castaic Lagoon 3/13

Post by ukey28 »

Nice crappie FireBall! Around here , when the crappies are on the beds they get dark like that. Maybe they are spawning where you are. I was very impressed with your good judgment to go to shore and walk it back. If you had gotten fatigued fighting the wind and flipped over or something else, you may not have had the strength to save yourself. Better to walk it and fish another day! Good Move.
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
Fire Ball

Castaic Lagoon 3/13

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: ukey28Nice crappie FireBall! Around here , when the crappies are on the beds they get dark like that. Maybe they are spawning where you are. I was very impressed with your good judgment to go to shore and walk it back. If you had gotten fatigued fighting the wind and flipped over or something else, you may not have had the strength to save yourself. Better to walk it and fish another day! Good Move.
Ya, I think that is why they are dark. I'm not exactly sure what the crappie beds look like so I can't tell if they are spawning, haha. I think I saw one thing that looked like a bed though, but I was never able to find it again. Maybe they were on beds, but they just blended in; I don't know. They moved from their spots and I'm not sure if bed fish move off if they are scared, but they always came back when I went away for a few minutes. I think I wasn't scaring them, it seemed like they moved off after I annoyed them with the crappie jig for a couple seconds sometimes.
I made it like 1/4th across and then decided to go back and walk, lol. I started to get pushed over the buoy line and into rip rap area that is now cover in water. I was afraid that I was going to get trapped above the rocks on the rip rap and not be able to get back, lol.
heylucky

Castaic Lagoon 3/13

Post by heylucky »

Hey Fire Ball! I saw you walking with your tube to the launch ramp yesterday but I was talking to lifeguard and didn't get a chance to say hi! And, that was not just "considerably" windy... it was like 40+ MPH! I got skunked (once again...I swear I have been cursed the last month). but Nice Crappie! I'll have to make sure to say hi next time..
"Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish"
Fire Ball

Castaic Lagoon 3/13

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: BassaholicHey Fire Ball! I saw you walking with your tube to the launch ramp yesterday but I was talking to lifeguard and didn't get a chance to say hi! And, that was not just "considerably" windy... it was like 40+ MPH! I got skunked (once again...I swear I have been cursed the last month). but Nice Crappie! I'll have to make sure to say hi next time..
Oh, nice. It has been though for bass from shore lately. I got skunked when I went at night a few days ago and I have friends that have been skunked multiple times in a row recently at night. Hopefully things will pick up next weekend and not be windy.
swimbait101

Castaic Lagoon 3/13

Post by swimbait101 »

i think they are spawning at piru too
thats what i heard from store

i just want to get out there and stay the whole day
Fire Ball

Castaic Lagoon 3/13

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: swimbait101i think they are spawning at piru too
thats what i heard from store

i just want to get out there and stay the whole day
I want the bass to start spawning soon. The fish at Piru spawn sooner than at Castaic. I wish I could have gotten a full day in yesterday.