Castaic Lagoon, CA 03.24.10... Care for a Gin?

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

I got up to Castaic yesterday for my first day of spring fishing. Water was still on the chilly side at 58.

Weather was nice, air temp was 77 and there was a gentle breeze from the SW. Signs of spring having sprung were everywhere. California state flower, wild poppies were blooming on the side of the road.

Water was scary gin clear dudes!!! There has been so much fresh water coming in from the upper lake. Keeping the temps down and for the most part all of the water in Castaic is Sierra snow melt that is pumped in from the California aqueduct.

This was about as clear as I have ever seen the water at the Lagoon. The last place I saw water clearer than this was Yellowstone Lake.

It was tough fishing, I was able to get in about four hours before my back muscles started to stiffen up. I did see a couple of cruisers in the 2.5 lb. range about 20 ft. off the shoreline in about five feet of water.

So the bass are definitely starting to move into the shallows again. I did also notice that those metalic blue dragon flies are now around and there were a few small lizards around the rocks also.

No bites for me. I did talk to one guy who came by in a Ranger bass boat who said he had caught one small one. I also talked to a guy who passed by in a bright orange yak.

He said he had been with a film crew shooting a commercial over on the swimbeach last week and seen a guy catch an 8.5 lb. from a float tube. Yeah I was there that day too.

I could hear the guy whooping it up and see the white side of the belly of that fish from the other side of the lake. LOL It was a pretty good one.

Ron Lehman came buy that day and said he knew the guy who caught the fish. It was good talking to ya Ron.

It was a nice day to be fishing even though I was unable to connect this time. As soon as the water temp gets over 60 and stays there it should get pretty good very soon.

When I split at 2:30 it was still very pleasant contitions at the Lagoon.

Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

The water at the Upper Lake was very dirty today. Probably 3 ft of visibility! I don't know happened! I hope the Lagoon is still clear. The guy that caught that 8.5 lber is on ZeroLimit. On Saturday, the water temp got as high as 63 later in the day in the North end of the Goon. I hope fishing is good this weekend. It was really good last weekend and I know some guys that were fishing the last few days and they have been slaying them. It seems like the float tubers are getting all the fish, haha.
George Cawthorn

Interesting you should mention the warmer water at the north end. I did see more boats up that way especially along the shore on the east side by the camp grounds.

Maybe on my next trip I'll head up that way. Yeah.. when it gets above 60 they do get much more active.

Either there were none in the area I was at or they weren't on the chew while I was there. I did put out all the usual goodies.

By the way if anyone lost an Apollo flipper I saw one lodged in the rocks by the buoy line on the south east side. It looked pretty new!!!!
ronlehman909

Post by ronlehman909 »

Hi George,
It was good seeing you last week as well. I'm checking out the weather and hoping the wind dies down from what it is today. I'm going to go to the north end this weekend and see what I can pick up.
Ron Lehman
[email protected]
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: Ron LehmanHi George,
It was good seeing you last week as well. I'm checking out the weather and hoping the wind dies down from what it is today. I'm going to go to the north end this weekend and see what I can pick up.
It is supposed to be pretty windy tomorrow, but I am still going and I am just going to stay in Paradise Cove the whole time. On Sunday the wind is supposed to die down some and I will fish the North end.
George Cawthorn

I was thinking of going up to fish the north end of the Lagoon tomorrow from around 2:00 PM till sundown.

As Fire Ball was saying it was 63 up there the other afternoon. The wind can do some mean trick at the Lagoon. The upper lake too gets some pretty heavy wave action and add to that the chop from the wake boats on the weekend.

Silt city at the shoreline in the afternoon. That is one of the reasons I prefer the Lagoon. No power boats.