Castaic Lagoon 4/8 + 4/9 - Nice 6 lber!

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

April 8
I hit the Lagoon yesterday with Robo Bass for some spring break bassin and ended up doing pretty well. I immediately noticed that the water clarity was a lot worse than it usual was and wondered how the sight fishing was going to be. I moved to a spot and started to work it slowly and nailed a 2 lb 0 oz bass within a few minutes. I went over the same general area on a second pass and got another fish, but this one was only 1 lb 5 oz. Then a few passes later *TAP TAP TAP* and I set the hook. This guy was pulling off lots of line and going down deep. I got her to the surface and she made a nice jump and I instantly knew she was easily 5+ lbs! She went back down deep and peeled off some more line and I finally landed her after a couple minutes on 6 lb test! It was an awesome bass weighting 6 lb 2 oz! This bass was my best one so far in 2010! I was pretty excited after that and made a couple more passes around my spot, but didn't get anything else. Robo Bass still hadn't caught any fish at this point and couldn't get anything at my spot, so we moved and he caught a little dink sight fishing. A little bit later, he got another bass, but this was one was better, weighting 2 lb 5 oz. We didn't get any more action there, so we moved once again and Robo Bass hooked 2 bass, but lost them both! He was very disappointed after that!

First fish - 2 lb 0 oz

My smallest fish of the day at 1 lb 5 oz

6 lb 2 oz! My biggest so far in 2010.

Robo Bass's dink. The picture makes it look bigger than it was, lol.

Robo's 2 lb 5 oz bass

April 9
Today we hit the Lagoon a lot earlier than the day before and we moved across a spot to look for fish on the beds, but it was just too murky to see them. I worked the same spot where I got the 6 lber the day before, but didn't get anything there today. I saw a bass in the shallows and dropped my bait down and backed off. I saw my line moving sideways and I set the hook. He weighted 1 lb 12 oz. I saw a few crappie so I decided to catch one of them, but it weighted 1 lb 2 oz only. I didn't want to waste time on them, so I didn't really fish for them. I moved to a new spot and hooked up within 20 seconds of switching my setup. It was a 1.5 to 2 lb bass and I ended up farming it! It jumped right when I got him to my tube and came off. A little bit later I hooked up again, but this one wasn't as big and was only 1 lb 2 oz. A little bit after that I caught another little bass weighting around 1 lb probably. Robo Bass still hadn't caught any bass, but then he hooked up and got it to the surface, but it jumped and he lost it! It was probably around 2 lbs. After farming that one, he hooked up again and reeled in a dink, but it was a fat dink! This one had a belly on him, for a dink, lol. Later, I felt a tap and set the hook, my rod started to bend, but then it came off after having it on there for a second. Robo did the same thing a little while after that. The wind started getting pretty bad, so we got off the water and went home. I didn't do a lot of fishing today because I was scout out some spots for the tourney tomorrow! Hopefully I do well!

1 lb 12 oz

1 lb 2 oz

1 lb 2 oz

Dink around 1 lb

Another dink around 1 lb

Robo's crappie weighing 1 lb 4 oz

Robo's dink bass, but it was fat for a dink, lol!
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Way to go guys. Stay on it Fire Ball. Very nice bass there. Something tells me the way you are going a really big one is right around the corner for you!!!!

Very nice report and great photos too. Thanks.

I will definitely be getting back to the Lagoon myself one day next week.
Maybe I'll see ya around one of these days.
heylucky

Post by heylucky »

Awesome job man! good report!
"Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish"
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

Nice bunch of fish! When are you getting a tube, Geo??
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: geobassWay to go guys. Stay on it Fire Ball. Very nice bass there. Something tells me the way you are going a really big one is right around the corner for you!!!!

Very nice report and great photos too. Thanks.

I will definitely be getting back to the Lagoon myself one day next week.
Maybe I'll see ya around one of these days.
Thanks. I caught weighted in 7 lb 3 oz of fish today at the tourney. I only caught three fish, but the biggest was 4 lb 8 oz. It was a tough day and a lot of guys got skunked.
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Frank I'm all for the guys in the tubes doing their thing. As for me I just love the shoreline, it's my thing.

I can see why guys love the tubes.