Most Admired Pro

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
JoeM

Most Admired Pro

Post by JoeM »

OK Pro Staff, Of the Super Pros like Clunn, Brauer etc. who do you like the best and why?
(I'm also adding this to the Tournament Board so that everyone gets a shot at it!)

JoeM
Good Fishing,
JoeM - Former Message Board Moderator
brendanc

Most Admired Pro

Post by brendanc »

Joe,

I would have to say Rick Clunn. This guy has been around since the dinosours and he still kicks butt! Extremely versital with techniques. He adapts well to changing conditions and always seems to put things together on the water.

The thing that I admire most about Rick, is that he never got "labeled". By this I mean, he's not a Denny Brauer "Labeled Jig Fishermen". He uses what ever tool the job calls for and also is not fixed on shallow or deep water. Rick will go were the better fish are... even if it means takening a nasty ride through the worst water.

All and all, he's just a well rounded PRO!
Brendan C.
SMbass

Most Admired Pro

Post by SMbass »

Its a toss up, between Clunn and Van Damm. Clunn is an awsome fisherman with so many techniques mastered. Also, he is just interested in winning, and does not get caught up in the sponsor end of the game. Yes he has many well respected sponsors, but not because he is a salesman, but because he is the best in the game. He concentrates on his fishing, not his sponsors, they just come naturally. I also like Van Damm, parcially because he is a "northern" angler, and can give the "good old boys" a run for their money, as he proved with this years Classic. I also admire his consistancy. He has been angler of the year three times, classic winner, Mega Bucks winner, and is always in the money. He finished in the money something like his first 17 BASS tournaments, which is a very difficult task. No matter what the conditions, no matter what the lake, and no matter what time of year, both these anglers prove themselves time and time again.
Tim Carini
JoeM

Most Admired Pro

Post by JoeM »

BC and Tim- I have to agree with you both. These are probably the 2 best in the business
I've never talked with Kevin, but I had the privilege of asking Rick questions at the Classic that Larry Nixon won on the Ohio River.

Everyone told me he was not approachable. Not so. Kevin appears to be that way also. (They know who is paying them)

The remarkable thing about them both is that they have fished in every Classic since their first appearance. Rick since '74 (yes, that's 1974! 28 consecutive appearances!) and Kevin since '91. I'd be curious to know of anyone else is on that kind of roll. I sort of doubt it.

Anyone else? JoeM
Good Fishing,
ukey28

Most Admired Pro

Post by ukey28 »

I know I'm jumping in a little late, but I'd like to add my thoughts. I think at the highest level of competition there is little difference in the physical skills of the individuals. Other than a few that have taken certain skills to another level of expertise ie: Fritz and his cranking skills or Zell Rowland and his ability with a top water, most of the pros are fairly even. The difference between the few at the absolute top is their mindset. They have supreme confidence and the focus of an assassin. Thats why I respect Clunn so highly. He has forged new paths into the mental aspects of fishing and the zen of competition that other competitors don't even realize exists. Recently he is quoted as saying that "to fish without fear is the key to success" and the shortest route to the "zone". If you have ever been in the zone you can appreciate his terms. There are moments when it seems as though one can will fish into striking and pick only targets that hold fish, it is an incredible experience. Rojas flirted with it for a while and it will be interesting to see if he can sustain that focus or just slide back to the place he was at before his run started. Van Dam is developing his maturity and I have a ton of respect for that. He seems to be the guy that has a chance to rewrite Clunn's records. If I might pay homage to another old warrior ,Roland Martin took fishing to another level in his time as well. He was the father of Pattern Fishing and is still winning, However he falls short of Clunn in the big picture, without a couple of classic wins. So for me its' Clunn, then Martin and Van Dam, and then the rest.
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
JoeM

Most Admired Pro

Post by JoeM »

Well said, Frank. You've managed to list their characteristics which really defines their differences and their similarities.

It has also been interesting to watch Clunn's disciples (Gary Klein and Randy Blaukat). Although they subscribe to the same principles as Rick, they just haven't broken out as it once seemed they would.

We've floated this same question on the Tournament Board so that others might provide their take on who is the Top Guy.

Thanks for sharing. JoeM
Good Fishing,