Fishing Photography and Cameras?

This is the place for off-topic posts. Have something besides fishing on your mind? Post it here. WARNING THIS AREA CONTAINS CONTENT THAT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN!!!
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

For a while now I have been missing the use of my digicam on fishing trips.

I had a Sony 6.0 meg Cyber-shot with the Carl Zeiss lens which was great but eventually broke down. I got it about five years ago for about $400 with a 512 meg memory card and case.

I liked it so much that when my daughter asked for a camera for her birthday I bought her a 7.2 meg version of the same camera. It also broke down but admittedly did take great pictures while it was working.

After looking around for a new one for myself I decided to try another brand this time and purchased a Nikon CoolPix S570 12 meg with a 5x wide angle zoom and 4 gig memory card.

The 4 gig card "ONLY" holds 1011 12 meg photos which should be more than enough for one of my average fishing trips. It handles and feels pretty much like the Sony but it is a little more simple and has a couple of more features.

A Sony model similar to the one I had with the Carl Zeiss lens is now around $279 without the memory card and case.

I picked up the Nikon S570 on sale for $129 and the memory card also on sale for $14. After using my employee discount and a batch of gift cards I had accumulated I forked over 25 bucks for Nikon and card.

I'm hoping this one will do as well as the Sony without breaking down. Fingers crossed on that one. Plus it's about time I got back into improving my fishing photo albums.

One thing that attracted me to the Nikon was that on auto mode it is a complete "idiot box" and extremely simple to use. I don't like to fiddle around with camera settings when I'm trying to spark off a quick photo of that nice bass I just caught.

I'm always in a rush to get them back in the water as soon as possible.

Two questions! What kind of cameras do you guys use and do you keep photo albums of all your fishing trips?

ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

I don't keep albums of every trip. I try to shoot memorable bass, Something that has a story behind it. I'll shoot the biguns too. I'm using a canon SX110IS point and shoot. What these little point and shoots can do is amazing! I'll use my SONY Cybershot as well. It's a pain to shoot myself when I'm alone, so II'll throw them in the livewell and wake up the Mrs. at 2 in the morning to take my picture. Gotta be careful with that though! They had better be realy big or Mommas not happy!
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

I use a Sony Cybershot and it is real old, but it is still working! My dad got it when they first started making them and then he gave it to me after my mom got a new one. He didn't need it anymore since the one my mom had was a lot better and it was perfect for taking pictures of fish. It is only 4 mega pixels.
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

So long as your self defense skills are sharp! Just be sure to use the front door. If you're at the back door peeking in it's either Buddy The Wonder Dog or Buckshot!
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

Got that Right!!