Sunday's East End Outing, Long Island

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
David Lengyel

Post by David Lengyel »

Got out Sunday morning to one of my favorite places to fish. Its a little pond located on the east end. Before my report, a little history. I have been going to this pond for a few years now and have seen a really nice fish in the spring of every year in the same spot. So I have been going back to this place putting time in and learning the small details that will put me on that fish, and Sunday was the day.

As I launched my boat at 9:00 am, the water temperature was already 83 degrees with an air of 85. First up was checking for activity, I started to wake a spinnerbait over a lawn of bladderwort that was nearly to the surface. I scored 4 fish within 20 minutes but all were barely over 12. It did not take long to notice on the other side of the pond I could see larger fish jumping out of the water in mats of watershield going after dragonflies. Sure enough I said bye to the smaller fish and motored to the other side. Right away I was hooking into and landing Bass up to 17 inches on a Scum Frog. As I progressed up the shoreline I came to my favorite area that has produced many quality fish in the past. Upon hitting the area I noticed that there was no commotion coming from the pads. No slurping Bluegill or Bass, but there were dragonflies. So taking a page out of the book of big bass, it was either empty or had big fish lurking around. Still using the SC I started to fish the heavily padded area that had a sharp break to 6ft and continued getting deeper from there. The return on the depthsounder also showed weeds on the bottom. I started to fish the area and as always I pop the frog off the pads at the end, well, when I did she hit. My rod doubled over, I set the hook and it was on! After a decent fight I get her in. The fish went 5lb. 12oz. I am pretty sure that this was the fish I have been seeing since it was from around the same area. Still who knows? The day went on with a steady pick of fish. In all 12 fish in 4 1/4 hours. Including a 3lb. 10oz bass that came about 30ft from where I caught the big one. The day ended with a water temp of 86 and an air of 95.

One more quick note, returning the the big fish spot later in the day I caught a few smaller fish from around the area, but no more big ones. I guess it was safe.

ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

Nice fish and a great report!! I felt like I was in the boat with you when you caught her! Nice Job, Dave!
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Sounds like a great day on the water Dave... that's a real nice tank you caught...

East End, eh?

BC
Brendan C.
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Thanks for the report and info Lunker Dave. Very nice bass indeed, that is a chunker.

Good pic of you and the fish. Sounds like you had a really great day.

Hey if you ever do get a chance to come out an fish Castaic. Go for it bro.
The Lagoon is one heck of a special bass lake.