Lake Congamond - CT - MA - Bass Fishing Report

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
brendanc

Lake Congamond - CT - MA - Bass Fishing Report

Post by brendanc »

Well I had to pick up my boat in Old Lyme, CT from Reynolds Garage & Marine. Had some improvements made as well as some repairs. I had them install a recessed trolling motor tray for my foot controlled Minn Kota... wow, what a difference it makes on my back after a day of fishing.

Well enough about my boat, got out onto the water around 12:00pm and stayed in the middle section. There were a lot of boats on the water and the parking lot at the ramp was almost full. Despite the heavy boat traffic, my fishing partner and I decided to look for largemouth holding on and around deeper structure. The first spot had suspended bass hanging around balls of bait fish all over, but they were not reacting to any of our offerings.

Hit the second spot and again there were bass suspended around schools of bait fish, expect they were attacking the bait balls. First cast through the school with a crankbait produced a very healthy 4 pound largemouth. Follow by a few other in the 2 ½ - 3 ½ range. My partner managed a nice 4 pound class largemouth targeting the structure (a long point with big rock on top) with a jig and craw. We ran the lake checking other points and humps and found most of the better sized bass were holding just off the breaks closest to the high spot on these structures. We also tried drop shotting, but the jig and crankbait were the two best producing lures we used.

Later we moved up shallow and found some nice bass on docs and around the lily pads in the south lake. All and all I would say that the better action was out in deep water Humps and Points.
Lures:

Crankbait: Strike King Pro Model 6XD – Color “Sexy Shad”
Jig: Custom ½ oz with a Berkley Chigger Craw Trailer (Green Pumpkin)
Brendan C.