help finding productive ledges

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
SCBassboy1984

Post by SCBassboy1984 »

its summertime now and need some help finding ledges. i am a shallow fisherman mostly,but i am trying 2 expand my talents more than just 10 feet and shallower, any pointers on finding them deep water sweet spots?
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

This is going to sound like I'm not helping, but this is the best advice I can give you. Pick up a copy of a book called, "Spoonplugging" by Buck Perry. He's the grandfather of structure fishing. Once you learn the theory everything else becomes clear.
Tight Lines,
Frank
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
SCBassboy1984

Post by SCBassboy1984 »

ok. where do i get that book from?
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

Amazon, Ebay, or http://www.buckperry.com/

Good Luck!
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
kspringer

Post by kspringer »

This is going to be a great experience for you and will open up so many opporunities. Living on Ky Lake, thats all we fish this time of year. The first thing I would do it get a good topo map of the lake you are going to fish. Start looking at the contours in the mouth of bays and river channel ledges. The "sweet" spot is usually a bend or indention on the ledge. Here it is usually 10 to 15 feet on top dropping into 20 to 25 feet of water. This time of year the fish are usually in a very small section and will be schooled up. You may fish 300 yards of a ledge without getting a bite and then catch one every cast in a 20 yard stretch. When you catch one, throw out a marker and put a waypoint on your gps. Try and replicate the exact cast to the exact spot, you can be off by a couple of feet and not get bit. The best lures are 1/2 oz jigs, 10" worms and deep diving cranks. I can write pages on this topic. It will take some getting used to, just throwing out into what looks like nothing, but it will come. The other piece of advice is go out there and give it a shot and dont get frustrated. You can email or call with questions, ledge fishing is a passion of mine
marques

Post by marques »

Up here in the north country their is nothing like drop shotting for big smallmouth on the great lakes. Water temps hit above 70 degrees & the samllies move to off shore humps and ditches feeding on gobies. A 3000 series spinning reel with a med light - med action rod. 6-10 lbs test McCoy Flourocarbon line and goby style baits are hard to beat in the hot summer on the great lakes !!!!

Tight Lines !!!!!!
Marques Green : Bassin' USA Prostaff - IL
wgbassgirl

Post by wgbassgirl »

Great suggestions Marq...we have a couple of great articles on drop shotting.
Drop Shot - Top to Bottom
Drop Shot with a Twist

Check them out!
marques

Post by marques »

The key to learning off shore structure is learning your electronics if you know how to customize your settings on your graph or sonar it will give you a better understanding of what your looking @ & you'll gain more confidence in off shore fishing !!!

Tight lines
Marques Green : Bassin' USA Prostaff - IL