Quabbin Reservoir; 8/13/11

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
Crestliner

Post by Crestliner »

A friend of mine asked me to show him around some deep, off-shore structure fishing, for smallmouth bass. We launched at 6:30 am and were off the water by 11:30 am. Water temps were steady at about 76 degrees. He allowed me to set-up his depth finder correctly and to show him how to drop shot, which I've been doing for 10 years now. This is what the water looked like after the fog got off the water:

After paying my dues on this body of water (over many years), I've collected about 35 waypoints, which I call my "milk run". We hit about 6 of these during the morning. My partner got 7 - 8 decent smallies over 2 1/2 pounds. My tally for the morning was between 15 - 18, not counting all the dinks we got, one small LM bass and a few yellow perch!

Here are some pictures of CPR smallies for the morning. The last two are of the same fish, to give you some idea of the girth of some of these big girls:

Most of the fish were caught on the drop shot. We scouted the deep structures between 35' - 50' of water, but found no bait or fish. The "magic" depths today ranged between 25' - 31' of water. A couple of eagles put on a close by show for us and several loons made it obvious we were fishing in the right places. A fine morning on one of my favorite bodies of water. >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Nice report and great pics... Sounds (and looks) like you guys had a great day out there. Love those FAT smallies!
Brendan C.