having a back up plan

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
SCBassboy1984

having a back up plan

Post by SCBassboy1984 »

i was on a great topwater bite in practice 4 a tourney a few weeks ago,sat comes and nothing want 2 show them selves,what would of been a good plan b,if they wont come up
brendanc

having a back up plan

Post by brendanc »

What changed with the weather conditions? Were the fish you caught chasing bait in open water, relating to structure, current, etc. ??? any more details you can share?
Brendan C.
SCBassboy1984

having a back up plan

Post by SCBassboy1984 »

it was thick overcast/with a low pressure system,with wind 10 to 15 and sat was nice and sunny with a small breeze, the fish where in 2-4 ft of water,on flat points and in shallow pockets,water was clear and also in practice,they wouldnt touch anything but a gunfish and buzzbait in practice, the lake is lake murray
brendanc

having a back up plan

Post by brendanc »

Hey SC,

One other question, were you targeting largemouth, spotted or smallmouth specifically?

If I'm following you correctly, you had thick overcast conditions, 10-15 mph wind and low pressure, followed by clear skies, high pressure and minimal wind... typical post frontal conditions. Did you also have any significant air temp change?

Regardless, the low pressure had those fish in an aggressive mood, the front passed and they are stuffed from gorging themselves and more inactive. If you had a lot of weeds on those shallow points, and were targeting largemouth, I'd start by pitching into the weed pockets with a smaller jig, or soft plastic. You have to force feed them and usually they will hit something 3" or smaller. You could also try a weightless fluke.

If you're talking about smallies or spots, then I'd be looking to pull back off the breaks on those points and seeing if they were suspending off the drops. Then look for any deeper weeds or rocky structure that they might hold to and again downsize. Finesse work on s spot remover or shakey head. Small jigs or a grub worked slowly through that deeper structure (assuming there is some nearby)

The said truth is that there is no magic formula (as you already know) but one thing that is usually consistent during post frontal conditions is to 1) Downsize and 2) Slow down.

I'm not sure if any of this helps, but hopefully you can pick up something from this post...

Brendan
Brendan C.