Lead or not to Lead....

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
Crestliner

Lead or not to Lead....

Post by Crestliner »

Our state has just passed a law prohibiting any/all use of lead jigs or hooks, made with lead, under 1 oz.. This, because a few loons have indeed died from ingesting lead. I believe this is an gross over-reaction and is not well thought out. Sportsmen here had no input in this decision. Consequently, it has become a major financial impact on most of us here.

At a time when the loon population is exploding here and our economy on a whole is in jeopardy, this is a very irresponsible decision by our state Fish & Wildlife. The ramifications will affect many of us sportsmen negatively, that's a certainty.

Yes, I believe lead fishing tackle should be reduced and/or eliminated from our environment; however it should be a gradual phase out vs. the dramatic action taken. I've had to spend a lot of money in trying to replace a good amount of my tackle. Being retired and on a fixed income, this has had a negative impacted on me personally.

My biggest concern is that of the motives behind the law and what effect it will have on sportsmen in this future. Some wildlife advocates have been trying to take action against hunting & fishing in this state for many years (i.e.: The Sierra Club). This new law represents a significant step toward those groups succeeding in this endeavor. A sad state of affairs. JMO.
wgbassgirl

Lead or not to Lead....

Post by wgbassgirl »

Crestliner..I think you summed it up very well. It's about priorities and I am not sure they have the right perspective here. For those who know me, know I definitely appreciate the concern over wildlife and all living things. But it does seem that it's, as you said, "a gross over-reaction".

There seems to be an all or nothing type attitude with these types of issues. It will certainly have an impact on the industry as whole.