Bass Fishing Superstitions - The banana

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
wgbassgirl

Post by wgbassgirl »

Ok, so I recently learned of the banana superstition. I was kindly invited to go out for the day on a friend's bass boat, and while packing my lunch I chose to bring a banana. As we started the day out, there wasn't much action and it was getting a little frustrating. So we decided to take a break and that is when I pulled out the banana.

Well needless to say, my friend told me to get rid of it, and then told me that was why we weren't catching any fish. I laughed, I thought he was kidding and then he told me about the superstition. We had a good laugh, but I was forced to finish it and dispose of the peel (properly). We both sort of laughed it off, but not even 5 min after we disposed of it, my friend caught a bass. After that the bass bite was on and had a great day on the water. So was it the banana or just coincidence?

So I was wondering what other superstitions people have when they are going fishing.

tkbigbass

Post by tkbigbass »

Never cut your fingernails on tournament week.
If you really want to see a bunch of mad fishermen, on tournament morning slip a banana in as many competitors boats as you can without them seeing you. Just don't get caught.
wgbassgirl

Post by wgbassgirl »

That sounds so evil tk >/groucho.gif" alt="[marx]" title="[marx]" height="29" width="41" /> .Actually I think someone had told me a story like that but it was just one boater.

Never cut your fingernails...haven't heard that one yet. Just like don't shave when you are in the playoffs.
allenray

Post by allenray »

Finally back on the board.
alycat is back had to change my name to get back on. The banana thing is a hoax. Never had a problem with it. But superstitions persist. Like my fishing buddy has to wear a certain hat on tournament day. It's all in the mental aspect of it. If you think it will it will. If you think it won't it won't.
as it is with certain use of certain lures. There is always a lure that you reley on the most. and your convinced that the lure is the reason your catching fish. When it's usually the confidence you have in the use of the lure that catches the fish.
wgbassgirl

Post by wgbassgirl »

Superstitions have always been a part of any competitive sport. I will say that I was definitely laughing about the banana. I also think it was just a change in the time of day that we started to catch more fish, but it was funny.