How much is too much?

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
brendanc

How much is too much?

Post by brendanc »

Ever catch yourself packing way too much tackle for a fishing trip or tournament? How much is too much? How do you go about narrowing down your selection?

Just a topic I thought you all could relate too...
Brendan C.
allenray

How much is too much?

Post by allenray »

I usually study the lake maps and online chatter about the lake. Check the weather patterns and time of season. Check with the Army corp of engineers on the water level and temp and clairity. Then cram as much tackle as I can get into my tackle bag!!!

But I started a system a few years ago. Seasonal lures, All season lures, Lake spacific lures, Confidence lures. So I am constanly rotateing my tackle instead of packing the entire store. You can only use one rod at a time and only have eight hours till weigh in.

Lake spacific lures
Flutter spoons, a rig,jiggin spoons, float n fly and lures that are linked to a spacific body of water.

Confidence lures
These are the lures you will always have tied on reguardless of where you fish. For me it's senko,brushhawg,shakey head,Bandit crank bait.

Seasonal lures
Rattle traps,top waters,deep diver cranks, jerk baits and so on

All season lures
Jigs,plastics,crank baits,spinner baits and the like.

I will usually have 4 one gallon bags of plastics,one plano box of crank baits,one plano box of weights and jig heads, one plano box of hooks, one plano box of jigs and trailers one spinnerbait box with assorted spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. The plastics I will change out as the season goes on as well as crank baits.That way I'm not killing myself trying to lift my tackle bag into the boat. i'ts tempting to pack everything you need and everything the next three boats need. But I learned a long time ago you probly won't use half of what you brought so why bring it...
brendanc

How much is too much?

Post by brendanc »

Very cool... I like the system. For lures like crankbaits, I keep the bulk of them sorted into 3 Plano boxes that are grouped by the depth they run at (Shallow, Med & Deep). Then I keep a small box with an assortment of my favorite cranks for each depths. This way I always have a small selection on hand.

One of my favorite things to do these days it to have small technique specific boxes setup like "kits". I have a worming kit, jig kit, swimbait kit, topwater, etc. Makes it easy to just grab something specific when you need it.

I too like to break things into seasonal groups. And always have lake specific lures that get tossed in for a particular lake.

For bulk stuff I have a terminal tackle box that has all my hooks & weights. Then I have a bulk jig box and another small box with just jig heads.

Soft plastics I keep in kits too. I keep bulk plastics in plastic show containers that you can get really cheap at Walmart. They hold a lot of stuff and can be stacked.

Anyone else have anything to share?
Brendan C.
allenray

How much is too much?

Post by allenray »

Thats great orginization is the key to fishing. I use plastic bags for my plastics because I can put them in my boat or in a tackle bag so I will have the same set up wether I'm a boater or non boater.
brendanc

How much is too much?

Post by brendanc »

I stopped packing for non-boater trips, in fact, I'm not allowed to be a non-boater anymore... my buddies say I complain too much! I'm a "back seat boater"... I've even tried to sneak my own trolling motor on board so I can adjust the back of the boat for better casting angles... is that wrong? lol
Brendan C.
allenray

How much is too much?

Post by allenray »

LOL I almost fell out of my chair. I've thought the same thing many times! This will be my last year as a non boater.But if a buddy calls and wants to go fishing I can still fit in the back.Sometimes it's better to take their boat if wer'e on big water or pulling the boat for three or four hours. Since my buddies boat is already at Dale Hollow and my other buddy keeps his at Norris.But no your not wrong for thinking that...
brendanc

How much is too much?

Post by brendanc »

LOL, Hey at least you can relate to where I'm coming from with my jokes... some people get all serious on me... It's nice not to have to be the guy taking care of the boat, truck and all associated equipment... on the last trip out with one of my buddies, he blew out his bearings and races... nothing like being broken down when you have a 4 hour ride home ahead of you! The best part was when I asked him where he kept his jack, he said "I don't have one, just find a big rock and I'll drive the other tire over it to raise it up". It worked, so I can't break his chops too bad...
Brendan C.
allenray

How much is too much?

Post by allenray »

I see where your coming from. I had a nightmare trip last year. Boat broke down, fish quit biting then got stuck in traffic for 8 hours on the way home. But some times you just gotta laugh and deal with it. what ever plans you make never happen just go with what ever comes along and deal with it. I laugh alot cause it makes troubles not as big and helps other laugh along with you...
brendanc

How much is too much?

Post by brendanc »

That a great way to deal with life's little curveballs!
Brendan C.