limiting plastics

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
allenray

limiting plastics

Post by allenray »

This year I've decided to limit the amount of plastics I'll carry in the boat. Trick worms, Senkos, brushhawgs, chigger craws and beavers. Mainly because they are the ones I have the most confidence in. That and it takes up a lot of storage space. I've also consolidated my crankbaits into one multi level plano tackle box. Going from top water to deep diving. I did the same with my hooks and jig heads. It saves a lot of room and I don't have to dig around as much. With that said you know by mid season there will be a small tackle shop in the boat!! Like Jello there's always room for more tackle!!
brendanc

limiting plastics

Post by brendanc »

I've started creating smaller boxes that contain everything I need for a specific technique. Plano makes a great waterproof tray model 3640-10 that allows you to separate the interior layout in some very usable configurations:

For example, drop shotting. I have a small dropshot box that contains my three top producing colors which mimic the forage in the areas that I am fishing. (When traveling to other areas, I can swap out colors as needed), Weights I keep loose in the compartment on the right along with hooks which I leave inside their plastic jacket. I mostly use Gamskatsu hooks, so the package fits nicely inside this size box.

I have another one setup for jigs, swimbaits, grubs, tubes, etc.

For jig heads, I keep a separate box (same size) with a variety of the jig heads that I commonly use.

I one larger box that I use for bulk hooks, weights and other terminal tackle (swivels, split rings, etc.)

Like you suggested, I also have combined my crankbaits into one box, with a variety of colors and sizes sorted by Depth. I like a double sided box for this. I'll put 0' -12' on top and the Over 12' on the bottom (or other side).

Top water lures I keep in a medium size box that can hold about 15-20 lures (depending on size).

I have a spinnerbait/buzzbait box:

I keep a Plano box that holds all my fishing line and another stand-up bin that holds pliers, glue, scissors, flashlight, and other tools, etc.

I have a small mesh bag that holds my culling scale and rings (up to 10)

Everything fights into one bag that fits in the back compartment of my Ranger. That's the test, if I can keep everything down to that size, if I ever need to jump in someone else's boat, I'm good to go...

From there, I keep bulk plastics in big zip lock freezer bags that can be left in a bin which can be left at a hotel, or the truck and if I'm really paranoid, I can always through a couple in the boat compartments because there' usually plenty of room left over.
Brendan C.
allenray

limiting plastics

Post by allenray »

That's what I've been trying to do this year. Like a box with float n fly set ups. A jig box with matching trailers. Spinner bait box and so on. But my biggest flaw is plastics. Grubs, worms 10 different colors,types and sizes, lizards, flukes, senkos, trick worms, brush hawgs, beavers, swim baits, craws, chigger craws and the list goes on. Trouble is they take up most of my bait storage area. And parts of the rod locker as well. So this year I want to down size to the particular few that I use the most of. And see if I can get by with out 100lbs. of plastic in the boat. I'm trying to make it a rule to myself for everthing I put in the boat something has to come out. We will see at the end of the year and how well that Idea works out.
brendanc

limiting plastics

Post by brendanc »

I guess what I was trying to say was the bulk plastics can be left behind, either in the truck or at the hotel. If you really have an insane day burn through 100 baits... well, you're S.O.L. my friend.

Over the years, I tried to use the body of water and season to dictate the colors, size and type of plastics I feel I'll need. This way when I'm prepping for a specific tournament, I'm eliminating things I don't need to bring... and yes, I make it a rule to get anything I don't need out of the boat. For one day tournaments, it's definitely more difficult, because if you don't have it, you can't bring it out the next day.

It not easy to switch your mindset sometimes, but I personally found it helped me in my tournament preparation. When I get to the lake, I have enough tools to find a primary pattern and fine tune it. For multi-day tournaments, I'm always looking for plan "B" and "C" patterns, in case conditions change.

Good luck with the change... at the very least, it good practice to try a new approach to things sometimes.
Brendan C.