Putting Carp in Candlewood , CT

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

All those carp do is destroy healthy ecosystems... I've seen it time and time again. Anyone who fishes Candlewood Lake knows it is one of the best fisheries in the northeast... and we can thank the Milfoil for that, as it plays a big part in a healthy fishery.

I'm shocked the D.E.P. still allows these carp to be put in lakes fully knowing by eliminating weeds, you throw the whole ecosystem out of balance. Control one invasive element by introducing another? If they were talking about a small pond with lots of shallow water, you could understand the concern, that maybe the Milfoil could choke out the lake, but even in those cases the fish tend to thrive in weedy ponds as well. This is not about the dangers of Milfoil... it's about "icky toes"... If people want a swimming pool, leave the lake alone and go buy one... the average lake front owner up there can certainly afford one.
Brendan C.
Rich Tomasini

Post by Rich Tomasini »

Being mostly a Largemouth this makes me sick, we will have a 4500 acre Mahopac if they do this. Makes my head spin as to why they do these things. The DEEP goes with whomever pressures them the most, in this case it's the homeowner, politics at it's worst.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

I'm surprised more of you CT guys don't ban together and mail in a letter in protest. My old bass club used to do that whenever we felt there was a problem which needed some attention.
Brendan C.
allenray

Post by allenray »

Is the lake grassed up? Usually that would be the reason they do that. But as fisherman we want the grass! One lake down here was choked with grass. Then here come the carp. The grass went away as did the bass. But now the pleasure boaters were happy. then God answered our prayers. Carp die off!! Thousands of dead carp!! I actually thought of taking a bunch of the dead ones and throwing them in other lakes. But too chicken I'd get caught. Now the grass is coming back with the bass. But you know how the DNR is now they want to stock the lake with Muskies. Which with the crappie, bass, stripers. Of which the population is starting to be great will now have another predator to deal with. I really don't get it. Leave well enough alone!! Of course there is no law against bow fishing for carp and no limit. LOL
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Humans... always thinking we know better than mother nature. lol The body of water is a highland reservoir. So you get nice weed lines and some beds around a lot (not all) of it's perimeter and in most coves. There are areas where water depth exceeds 80'. The lake has an average depth of 30' so it could never get completely choked out by weeds.
Brendan C.