Bowl shaped lake

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
TWD

Bowl shaped lake

Post by TWD »

A lake I fish is structurally bowl shaped, although oval, with heavy weed growth in summer. The maximum depth, near the center, is 20 feet only. Where would the largest bass be found, with not much underwater structure?
brendanc

Bowl shaped lake

Post by brendanc »

TWD,

Big bass like to occupy the best cover available in any lake. You said there are weeds in your lake, right? Well that’s cover, in fact some of the best cover you could want for bass. What you are looking for is the heaviest cover, with an abundance of baitfish that is close to both shallow and deep water. In your situation, you just need to find the best cover with the most food nearby. Here’s what I do when breaking down a weed bed:

First scout the area visually. I’d recommend wearing polarized sunglasses for this. Turn your trolling motor on high and buzz right down the outside weed edge. Watch carefully for baitfish that spook as you cruise by. Also look for any areas of the weed bed that are different (i.e. Cuts, turns, points, thickness and height). Do the same for the inside weed edge and make a note of all these areas. Go back over these spots with your electronics and check the depth. You also want to check the bottom composition with your electronics. Look for rocks, gravel and/or variations in the hardness of the bottom.

Compare your notes for each of the areas. Remember what the rule is, “the heaviest cover, with an abundance of baitfish that is close to both shallow and deep water”. In your situation, the distance between shallow and deep water is basically the same throughout the lake. So you have taken a variable out of the equation.

Now, which area looks the best to you?

Pick the top five areas and fish them thoroughly. Keep in mind that there are objects and variables that we can’t see. By breaking down a weed bed to five key areas, it won’t take long to figure out which area holds the biggest fish.

Let me know how you make out…
Brendan C.
d.mcgarry

Bowl shaped lake

Post by d.mcgarry »

Bowl shaped and heavey weed growth, max depth of 20'. What depth do the weeds grow down to?? I will assume that this water is clear and weed growth will start at shore and end in 10' to 15'. The largest Bass in every body of water require sacrifice to catch. They are not the same as your run of the mill tournament Bass, they fill a niche in the ceo system and require time and effort to catch. I would start by looking for any irregular features in the weedlines and than break the weeds into different groups. Once we have looked at the subtle differences. Mudlines, Sand Bars, vareity of weeds and what the predominate wind patterns are for that body of water. Once I know or get a feel for the lakes system than I select areas that few would try and at weird times. My favorite Big Bass bait is the Spinnerbait Big Singlespin followed by a 6" or 4" plastic worm or The one ounce Mud Bug. Good Fishing Dan
Dan McGarry : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York