Fort Pond

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
chin814

Fort Pond

Post by chin814 »

Does anyone have any tips for smallmouth in fort pond?
d.mcgarry

Fort Pond

Post by d.mcgarry »

Pete,
I have had success with the Largemouths using 4" plastic Berkley Ringworms in Blue Fleck. I also use Gitzits in color#140 Pumpkin with a 1/16 oz. head and 6# line(on windy days I use 1/8 or 1/4 oz.heads) and of course crankbaits work well. My favorite Crankbait is the 3/4 oz. Rat-l-trap in color#52 Chart. Shiner. The Smallmouths that live here are usually cuaght around the point on the left and up on the flat in th celery weed. I have cuaght my best Smallies on a 1/16oz gitzit in color#140 on 4# Berkley vanish with a light breeze. The Largemouths are usually cuaght from the underwater pilings in front of the ramp and to the left and right up the eastern shore out on the weedline(8'-15'). As a precaution Fort Pond is very windy and is not the best smallmouth fishery within a two hour drive of central Long Island. If you would like to know more about Bass fishing on Long Island and lower stae waters e-mail me. Good Fishing Dan !!!!
Dan McGarry : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York