Mudbug Fans unite!!!

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
JoeM

Mudbug Fans unite!!!

Post by JoeM »

Starting with the Pro Staff, how many of you guys throw the "Bug regularly? And if not, what deep digging crank do you use?
JoeM
Good Fishing,
JoeM - Former Message Board Moderator
**DONOTDELETE**

Mudbug Fans unite!!!

Post by **DONOTDELETE** »

HET JOE....BEEN THROWING "THE BUG" SINCE 1977 MY FIRST TRIP TO WINNIEPAUSKEE...WHEN I CAUGHT OVER 100 SMALLIES IN ONE DAY!!!MY BIGGEST A 4LB 8OZ WEIGHTED ON A CERTFIED SCALE!!I GOT A PICTURE OF THE GROUP WHO WENT WITH 20 FISH WE CAUGHT...NOTHING SMALLER THAN THREE POUNDS!!AND THE LARGEST WAS MY 4-8!!!
I STILL THROW IT TODAY...ITS A REAL PRODUCER!!!GOT A FEW FISH OVER THE YEARS IN "RONK" ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS "MUDBUGS FOREVER"!!!ROLAND.......LETS HERE FROM DAN M ON HOW HE FINE TUNES THEM!!
JoeM

Mudbug Fans unite!!!

Post by JoeM »

Thanks for the input, Roland. OK Dan, we'd love to hear from you next. JoeM
Good Fishing,
brendanc

Mudbug Fans unite!!!

Post by brendanc »

Joe,

I use the Mud Bug in most deep water situations. Sunker brush, fallen trees, weeds, and rocky areas. It can be deadly. I have found situations when you can't get a fish to strike it though... The "BUG" is a very Buoyant bait and will rise very quickly, even when weighted with lead. Sometimes they just want a crank bait to sit there and not float up. I'll usually switch to a Norman's suspending DD22... Reel it down till it's making contact with the structure and then stop it. You can even "RIP IT" like you would fish a jerkbait. It will dive 15'- 18' on 12lb test (Most of the time). If it's not getting down, go to 10lb test. If they don't hit that, I'll start Carolina rigging the same areas.

Brendan
Brendan C.
JoeM

Mudbug Fans unite!!!

Post by JoeM »

Brendan- Norman Baits have been great for a long time. While Bill N. was alive, I was a member of his Pro Staff. We had a good ride with him.
Thanks for the additional comments about less buoyant plugs giving anglers another option. Good tip. JoeM
Good Fishing,
brendanc

Mudbug Fans unite!!!

Post by brendanc »

Joe,

I'm always happy to share info...

Brendan
Brendan C.
d.mcgarry

Mudbug Fans unite!!!

Post by d.mcgarry »

Joe,
I have been fishing the Mud Bug since my introduction from Jerry Thompson years ago. The bait is very weedless and is one of my top weed crankbaits right up there with the Bill Lewis Rat-l-trap. I am very selective and only really throw a bone and orange 1 ounce wheighted bait that rises very slowly when stopped. I fish it in water down to 20' by using 10# test Silver Thread and a 7' rod in the water a resonable retreave with a lot of stop and go is or has been the ticket. I t pulls threw weeds, rock and brush and can be retrieved if it is hung up by just changing direction. Every Bug I throw has the paint removed from the Bill, it is the first thing I do to the bait, this makes it flash. The second thing to do is cut those tin hooks of and install #2 thin wire Gamakusa. Then if you want to get carried away wheight the bait so when you stop the retrieve the bait slowly rises. Sorry I posted a question I just like to get info from other "Pros". I just wanted to tap some of the other Pros wisdom, there is alot of expierence and knowlege available on this site and I want to make use of it!!!
Dan McGarry : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
SMbass

Mudbug Fans unite!!!

Post by SMbass »

In answer to your question Joe, I do not throw the mudbug, or any deep diving crankbait for that matter. I own well over 200 cranks, and did not even pick one up this season. I feel my changes of catching a bass from deep water are better with a carolina-rig, slow rolled spinnerbait, or a heavily weighted slug-go. Confidence is key to catching bass. Personally, I do not have confidence in cranks. Also, whenever possible I avoid using lures with treble hooks, as the hook:land ratio is greatly lower than a single hook.
Tim Carini
JoeM

Mudbug Fans unite!!!

Post by JoeM »

Thanks to the guys who have posted sofar.
When a few more Pro Staff Members post up, I'll try to summarize where we are and hopefully start a further string of good info. Thanks for all your help. JoeM
Good Fishing,
ukey28

Mudbug Fans unite!!!

Post by ukey28 »

I suddenly feel very alone here. Am I the only guy that prefers to fish a crankbait? Maybe its just confidence in what you throw. Shallow Slow is the Spence Scout, Shallow fast is the Rattletrap. For brush and blowdowns its the old plastic bomber (Floyd Mabrey Style) or and I hate to say it the Mud bug. Crank it gently and they will walk down a tree trunk kissing every limb. Medium Depths Give me a Rebel Deep Wee R, I love it from 6 - 10 feet of water. A little deeper and The N lures from Norman the Deep Little N gives me 12 feet on 10# from the box and with some "adjustments" and long casts I get 14. After that I like The Rapala Double Deeps and the Norman 22's which can reach as deep as I think it is practical to try and work a plug. I've tried the mudbugs but, to me they overpower any feel I have for what's on the bottom. I was taught to use the crankbait the way most guys use a spinnerbait, as a search bait, however it will tell me what the bottom is made up of like a worm and pick up fish quickly. I can cover and analyze more water faster in a competition with a crank bait than any other lure I know of. Sure, if the bottom feels like it has some stumps or brush piles and I'm not scoring with a crankbait, I'll toss the jig or some other nook and cranny bait before I leave just in case they want a slow retrieve. But I can gaurantee I found that cover with the crank, and I did it quicker. Thats My 2 Bits.

Frank Lapinski
Pro Staff
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York