One more visit to the C-Rig

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

An addendum to our previous post. In a number of bass fishing posts on the 'Net I've noticed a lot of concern about bass taking the C-Rig hook too deep before the angler senses a hit and is able to set the hook.
1- One guy suggests using circle hooks and just keep reeling until the fish moves off and you sweep set the hook to the side.
2- Another angler says he has had no problems since he started mashing down the barbs recently. He claims he can ease the hook out with no ill effect on the bass.
(I wish the bass could verify this!)
Let's hear our Pro Staff's opinions on these suggestions. JoeM
Good Fishing,
JoeM - Former Message Board Moderator
SMbass

Post by SMbass »

If the angler is not paying attention to his fishing, the bass will take the hook to deep, but only on occasion. To help prevent this from happening, and also to help detect subtle bites, here's a simple trick. While retrieving the rig, simply hold the line with your index finger and thumb (the same hand holding the rod). Not only will you feel subtle bites that other will miss, but you will feel the bite sooner, preventing the fish from taking the hook deep. I do not like circle hooks, due to the fact I have trianed myself for over 16 years to set the hook when I feel a pickup. With the circle hook, you will miss every fish if you set the hook, and I'm not about to change my fishing habits. As for crushing the barb, I would suggest that you do not do that. With heavy wieght 3' to 7' from the hook, if the fish jumps it can throw the hook very easily by using that weight as leverage. Hope that answers your question.
Tim Carini
Pro Staff
Tim Carini
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

Tim- Thanks for the reply. After hearing your side of this question, I will continue to do it my way and I will feel that line as you suggested. Wish me luck. JoeM
Good Fishing,
JoeM - Former Message Board Moderator
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Just some food for thought: Have you ever tried Carolina rigging floating or suspending minnow baits??? Next time you're out on the water and looking to try something different on deep rocky areas, give it a whirl. I mostly stick with Rapalas in shad, perch or Tennessee shad patterns.

Rig and fish it just like you would fish a softplastic. I typically keep the leader under 5' for casting purposes. The nice part is, the fish usually hook themselves.
Brendan C.