hooks for specific tasks

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
ukey28

hooks for specific tasks

Post by ukey28 »

Sounds like we're on the same page on this one. It took me a while to learn how to not set the hook, but once I got past that, I found that by the steady cranking I was leading fish out of cover rather than dragging them out. I'm sure its the same with the split shot hook. I never tried the Split shot, so it sounds like its the old comfort zone thing. Thanks for the insight. Tight Lines
Frank
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
JoeMo

hooks for specific tasks

Post by JoeMo »

MMT & Frank- Last year I gave my friends Mitch and Robin fits by playing the Mahopac bass (largemouths in this case) with Ikas.
They would watch as the line would move out from a dock, reverse direction and then turn. I only had to bring the rod tip up a few degrees and the Yamamoto SS hook (a #5 or 6)
went to the corner of the bass' mouth.

Guaranteed it will drive your tournament partner crazy as he waits with the net. True?

Keep posting. Life is good. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
MMT

hooks for specific tasks

Post by MMT »

The split shot hook is also really nice on a drop shot rig. It is small enough to nose hook any bait. At times I find myself threading a Yamamoto 30 series grub on it as well. I just don't like to Texas rig on the drop shot. Joe, no problems with mahopacian bass taking it too deep????? I love that place!
Craig DeFranzo
MMT

hooks for specific tasks

Post by MMT »

Joe, I am also a big fan of the Ika. I love the fattie. I will show you a great little rig I use with it that is pure dynamite!!! Open invite on my boat next time you are around.
Craig DeFranzo
JoeMo

hooks for specific tasks

Post by JoeMo »

MMT- No problem with deep-hooking the bass at Mahopac when I didn't set the hook. We only caught Largemouths, although I've had similar good experiences in Maine with Smallies.

I'll hold you to that invitation in September
and yes, I'd like to see that rig.

BassWishes, JoeMo
Good Fishing,
mofish

hooks for specific tasks

Post by mofish »

First off to M Bailey. This week I fished the 5/0 hook wacky style and you know what I caught 4 fish with one of the them around 4lbs with two more keepers. The way things are going on this lake here that would of won me some money in the Wendsday night working mans tournament. Thanks for the advise.

2nd the Circle hook and I have been doing some playing around some. It all sounds so good, but haveing to stop and think not to set the hook has been a problem for me. For years now I been setting the hook on bass and it is a automatic reflex. I think this is a big draw back for me fishing the hook in a tournament situation.

Now when I am fishing with light line and small worms I can see the advantage of the Circle hook. You can't set the hook hard for fear of breaking line so the circle hook is to my advantage here. It's just a mental thing that I need to work on. I think Brendan said it before on another post that the fact that he has to stop fishing the way he is used to and think about not setting the hook is another distraction that he tries to avoid. Switching from one lure to another can have that affect on me too.

Until it becomes second nature for me and the fish are locked in on the pattern that the circle hook works, its just to much to keep up with when money is on the line for me. I will continue to work on this but not in a tournament.

My 2 cents

Conley
Thanks,
Conley Staley
JoeMo

hooks for specific tasks

Post by JoeMo »

Conley- You are right that it could present a problem if you change to circle hooks in the middle of your tournament year.

I got some good advice a few years back from an excellent local fisherman. He said to only use during the season what you worked with in "training camp" (prior to tournament season)
He definitely changed nothing during the season, even if he was slumping.(Which he rarely did)

Keep up these great posts. We all appreciate your help. JoeMO
Good Fishing,