ELECTRONICS

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
YAR

ELECTRONICS

Post by YAR »

OK PRO'S, for someone thats getting thier first boat or just got one , how do you use your electronic's (depthfinder, fallsher and gps)when fishing bigger lakes. also how do they relate to each other when using them!!
d.mcgarry

ELECTRONICS

Post by d.mcgarry »

Ray,picking and choosing good electronics is like setting up a home entertainment center. Setting up should be done by a proffessional boat rigger if you want the best results. If you have a big boat you will want a quality in-dash flasher or LCR unit with a Lowrance x-15 graph recorder. As for the bow I prefer a quality flasher unit to any LCR unit I have used however I can't seem to find anyone to repair mine. I hear SiTex makes a quality color machine (flasher) and I would like to get one or a Zercom unit. I have always liked flashers becuase they are direct reading and they have great resolution in weeds and bottom content. I also like a quality paper graph machine for the same reasons and own a SiTex paper machine that I would be happy to show you some time. You should also consider a temp gauge both front bow and console and the most important instrument a good and stress good compass that is installed away form anything that could give you a bogus signal. For a little boat any good multi-function LCR will do,size and function are more important than information, besides it's a pond boat how deep you fishing. Electronics are very important and how they function is good material for an artical so stay tuned. Good fishing Dan
Dan McGarry : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
ukey28

ELECTRONICS

Post by ukey28 »

If the Question is how do I use my electronics to assist me in fishing, then let me preface the answer with how I have my rig set up. I keep a flasher on the transom and a LCR on the electric motor. My GPS is a stand alone unit. This configuration is based mostly on economics although with unlimited resources it would not change much. The flasher runs when the gas motor is running and I'm getting real time knowledge of the depth and bottom type,ie: rocks, mud, weed. I'm looking for changes in depth or bottom type. If I want to check out a point or cove, I can do it quickly with the flasher. If I see a break or jumps in depth that I want to check out in greater detail. I 'll do it with my trolling motor and the LCR. For example, if I come to a point and I want to map it quickly I criss-cross the point with the flasher and the big motor and drop bouys at the 12' depth line. I'll set out 5 bouys and back off and look at the spread from a distance. It's like looking at a contour map. If one bouy seems to be in or out from the general spread, then I have a point or a ditch on the big point. This structure on a structure is the spot that I will search with my LCR on the trolling motor. I'll set my waypoint off this small point and next time I want to fish it the GPS puts me close without running over the spot with my gas engine. This is a general explanation of how I use my electronics. Tactics change with conditions and the presentation you are using. Even with the GPS or the LCR if I'm vertical fishing a rock pile or wreck I set a Bouy as a reference point. The tools all work together and remember the repeatability of GPS is not that good. It will get you close but not exactly on the spot as LORAN did. Without the bouy the wind, wakes and just the act of landing a fish will cause you to lose your bearings. Keep a log of the waypoints as well. You can record little observations and notes about the spot. I try to record land ranges and the lat/lon numbers for every spot too, so if the unit breaks I haven't lost the spot forever. If you need more just ask.
Frank
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
JoeM

ELECTRONICS

Post by JoeM »

Thanks to Dan and Frank for describing not only their set-ups, but how they help find bass. Any other Pro-Staffers: Jump in here at any time. All comments are welcome. And any additional questions out there on this subject? Fire away. JoeM
Good Fishing,
JoeM - Former Message Board Moderator
JoeM

ELECTRONICS

Post by JoeM »

I'd like to get Roland in here to comment on wire runs for the different equipment. For example, I've always been told to run my power wires up one side of the boat and transducer/sensor wires up the other side.
Roland, is this still a valid point? Or is that not as critical anymore. JoeM
Good Fishing,
JoeM - Former Message Board Moderator