Senko Techniques

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
Frank K SCB

Senko Techniques

Post by Frank K SCB »

I'm sure that a few of us fish the Senko. I have two questions that I would like to get your thoughts on:
Consider you are fishing the 5 inch Senko: 1. What is the best hook (MFG/Size) to use and how do you set the hook properly.
2. Which is the best line to use when fishing the Senko and why? (mono, braided, etc)
Frank J. Kavanagh

mailto:[email protected]
SMbass

Senko Techniques

Post by SMbass »

Hi Frank,
I like to use a 2/0 Lunker City Texposer hook. The bend in the hook is the important part. I like to rig the Senko weedless, by inserting the hook through the center of the bait, turning the hook 90 degrees and putting the hook point back into the bait, making it totally weedless. As for line I use 12lb or 14lb Trilene XT. I like the heavier line due to the fact it slows the fall of the bait. With everyone starting to use Senkos, anything to give the bait a different action than the guy infront of you makes all the difference in the world. Plus the line has less strech, so to set the hook you just lift up and the bass hooks itself. See you on Monday.
Tim
Tim Carini
Frank K SCB

Senko Techniques

Post by Frank K SCB »

Thanks Tim:
Same question except using the 5" Senko rigged "wacky"
Frank
Frank J. Kavanagh

MMT

Senko Techniques

Post by MMT »

Frank, for the 5" model, I have wacky rigged it on a size 1 splitshot hook or an Owner Mutu light. You can get away with a 1/0 if you want. I like 10lb Triple Fish Camo. Terry Baksay introduced me to it and I've used it faithfully ever since. As for the hookset with the wacky rig....it is hard not to swing set when you see your line move but this will only leave you empty handed. It takes a while to get used to but you simply crank the reel steadily while lifting your rod up to the 12 o'clock position, I pop my wrist as I lift up and feel the weight of the fish. If I can feel it, the hook has begun to penetrate. These hooks simply catch and dig in. Once you do it a few times, it is easy. It is jusy getting it down that first time that takes nerve. For Texas rigging I use a TTi X Point. Any good hook will do.
Craig DeFranzo
Frank K SCB

Senko Techniques

Post by Frank K SCB »

Quote:Originally posted by MMT:
Frank, for the 5" model, I have wacky rigged it on a size 1 splitshot hook or an Owner Mutu light. You can get away with a 1/0 if you want. I like 10lb Triple Fish Camo. Terry Baksay introduced me to it and I've used it faithfully ever since. As for the hookset with the wacky rig....it is hard not to swing set when you see your line move but this will only leave you empty handed. It takes a while to get used to but you simply crank the reel steadily while lifting your rod up to the 12 o'clock position, I pop my wrist as I lift up and feel the weight of the fish. If I can feel it, the hook has begun to penetrate. These hooks simply catch and dig in. Once you do it a few times, it is easy. It is jusy getting it down that first time that takes nerve. For Texas rigging I use a TTi X Point. Any good hook will do.
Frank J. Kavanagh

Frank K SCB

Senko Techniques

Post by Frank K SCB »

Once you get the hang of it do you lose many fish on the hook set?
Frank J. Kavanagh

MMT

Senko Techniques

Post by MMT »

I'd say that once you get into the habit of this particular set action, you rarely lose or miss fish. They just always get the whole bait in their mouthes. Just remember slow steady pressure. Set too quickly and you pull the hook out before it gets a chance to dig in.
Craig DeFranzo