New Yamamoto Tournament Circuit

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
dansfishntales

Post by dansfishntales »

I noticed there are some concerns regarding these Yamamoto Tournaments, as to the
price of lures. Well I have a solution, that a friend uses for the higher priced Power Baits.

Darrell's prefishing is done with generic, or some sort of cheaper lure, that is similar to the
Power Baits he is planning on using. Most of his tournament fishing is in the Mississippi
River, and he flips a lot of crawdad worms. When he knows they are hitting on this type
of lure he switches on the day of the tournament to Power Craws.

Here is a list of possible prefish lures, that I would use, which can be purchased in bulk,
cross referenced to Yamamoto lures (you can use your own selection of whatever cheaper
route you have):
Jelly Tube or Ozark Bass Tickler for Yamamoto Tube
H&H single tail grub for Yamamoto Single Tail Grub
Mannipulator twin tail grub for Yamamoto Twin Tail Grub
Crooked Creek Spider Grub for Yamamoto Hula Grubs
Larew Salt Craw or Gambler Guido Bug for Yamamoto Craws
Jelly Worm for Yamamoto Cut Tail Worm
Jelly Waggler for Yamamoto curl tail design worms
Gambler Stud for Yamamoto Senko
If tubes work in prefishing, and a solid tube may be helpful in the tournament, try
Yamamoto Ika.
Any good quality spinner and buzz baits that match the color and size of the Yamamoto
line.

If being confined to using specific items in the tournament is a problem, then I don't have
a solution. Just think about our Team USA, that competes all over the world in bank
fishing competitions. They are not only confined on there selection of bait, but also on the
spot where they fish, as it is drawn by the team captain, and that is where they will stay
throughout the competition. There are also bookies taking bets on the individuals with the
crowds setting on river and canal banks. Judges are looking over contestants, and another
judge is looking over the judges. I know this, since I've been associated with this team
since 1982 when I became acquainted with the captain of Team USA, Mick Thill. In fact,
I was an alternate during 1983, and was almost needed. One of the members went on a
honeymoon in Canada, and got lost in the woods. They found him in time to get him to
Holland, where the event was taking place. By the way, last year our Team competed in
the World Championships in Paris, France. For those interested, Mick is the only
American to have won gold, silver and bronze medals in the sport of open water and ice
fishing. This was a little detour, but thought it may be of interest. If interested in more,
contact Mick through his web site at www.mickthill.com. He is always looking for people
who want to form 5-man teams. You may even qualify to compete on the major Team
USA.

Back to the Yamamoto tournaments. I've always been interested in something like this
event. In fact, I've had several similar ideas, which I won't give out, as 3 other ideas have
already been stolen, one of which was a TV show.

A few years ago there was a tournament circuit similar to this that stated which lures
would be used in each event. It was interesting in that you never new if it would be
spinnnerbaits, crankbaits, jig or soft plastics. That can be a real bear if the “big bite” is on
a slow moving jig-n-pig, and you are stuck with something like a lipless, rattling crankbait.
Fish were always caught, but it was a challenge. I was going to do this same sort of thing
with my Bass Wranglers organization, but never got around to it before getting too
heavily involved in the electronic media end of things.

I don't know if any of this has helped, but at least it may through a little different light on
some of it.
Dan Galusha : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Illinois
MMT

Post by MMT »

Dan, I can understand a single novelty type of tournament, that would be fun, but a whole circuit based only on one manufacturers baits....that is pretty crass. I am the tournament director of a small 20 man club. I also own my own bait company. Yamamoto is not one of my competitors but could you imagine if I even suggested a tourney within my club telling guys that they could only use my baits for the season. I do make pretty much everything these days but I just can't imagine a whole circuit of events based on that premise. I respect GY baits and know several guys on their staff who are my friends. I just think that we are getting beaten over the head with this. If guys want to do it, and I know some will, then I hope it turns out to be a success. Yamamoto is a trusted name in this business and the only store bought plastics I would ever use. I certainly don't mean to bash GY here.
Craig DeFranzo
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

MMT- No one here to my knowledge is bashing anyone. If they did, I promise to delete the post and (off-line) discuss the problem. So far that hasn't happened. Just wanted everyone to understand.

Dan- That was a very good post which will appeal to a lot of fellas who fish T's and yet work for a living. The idea of pre-fishing with a less costly product will have its fans.

MMT- Apparently if the prize money is enough there will be plenty of contestants. If I was
fishing it and my Sponsor said "Don't do it!"
I'd have to consider what life would be like without that Sponsor. Not an easy decision for any angler.

Thanks to all of you for really getting into this subject. I think we might move on now and talk about some other tournament news.
Much obliged. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator