Championship Tournaments are Finished

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
mofish

Post by mofish »

Well as the saying goes the year is at a close.

I must say that this year was one of those years that the fishing was not all I expected.

The C.A.S.T. Couples events were alot of fun fishing with my wife. Now she might have something different to say about it, considering that every tournament there was something different in the way of weather. Cold, wind and rain were the main cause for concern during most of the tournaments. The Championship was no differnt.

The little bit of prefishing I got to do on Texoma really paid off for us. Thanks to the tips I recieved right here on this site.

On day one we started the morning off catching a keeper in the first 30 minutes of the tournament. I also broke off a Big Fish on a top water two cast later. Funny thing was the fish came back up and shook his head and gave me my topwater (spitin image) back to me. It was a good 5 or 6 pound fish, sure would of helped at the weigh-in. We caught two more fish to end the day in 25th.

Day two brought about alot of changes. The temp dropped down in to the low 40's and the WIND LET LOSE at 25mph with gust up in the 40mph. We went back to were we were catching the fish the first day but the fish were not there. So we just went fishing.

Something happened that I thought might need mentioning. I was throwing the spittin Image and working it against the wind. I know that this is a no, no, but I was catching fish this way. They were small fish but they were fish. I was about to bump into a boat dock after a cast and I bent down to ajust the trolling motor doing this I was dragging the bait across the top when a keeper bass nailed the bait. Call it luck or water ever you want but that one little 14.5" fish got us a check. I tried every way in the world to duplicate the cast I had made but could not catch another. I guess it was just ment to be.

The other tournament that I had so much confidece in was a bomb. During the prefish period we were catching them left and right. On practise day before the tournament the fish were grabbing my worm and I could bring them all the way to the boat to take a look at them and all were good keeper fish. I set the hook on to fish on crankbaits and they were good ones. I could not shake them off.

Tournament day and nothing. Two fish the first day, and no fish the second. Go figure. I still have alot to learn about this game. Oh yes weather hardly changed the whole tournament here either wind and rain. Pressure on the fish is about the only thing I can figure. Oh well better luck next year.

Conley
Thanks,
Conley Staley
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

Conley- Neat post! It's always good to read of someone doing well as you did to cash a check.

Also, when the conditions throw us the curve instead of the fast ball, we all have a tough time. The biggest thing is always, did you learn anything from this experience? I'm sure you did.

As Brooklyn Dodger fans used to say: "Wait till next year!" Keep posting. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeM - Former Message Board Moderator
mofish

Post by mofish »

Yes i learned alot from two buddies that finished in the top 5. With that much pressure on the fish we should of went with a slower presentation. They caught their fish using a Trick worm rigged weightless and just letting it slow fall in 6ft of water. Why didn't I think of that?!

Conley
Thanks,
Conley Staley
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

Conley- Ah, the old slow fall trick. Sure works when the fronts move in and as the season winds down.

I'll be fishing in a team tournament Sunday against two of the best anglers I know. Now, either I'm crazy or I'm a glutton for punishment.

I've been known to use the slow fall /deadstick technique, but these guys are on the 2nd or 3rd level above me. Wish me luck.
lol

Joe
Good Fishing,
mofish

Post by mofish »

Good Luck my freind. I know that you can pull it out. Take care hang a bigun.
Mo
Thanks,
Conley Staley
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

Thanks Conley. We shall see what we shall see.

Talk with you soon. And Thanks! Joe
Good Fishing,
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

Conley- Those 2 guys murdered everyone in the tournament including my buddy Mitch and I.
They won the day, the lunker and the three tournament Cold Water Series.

I've learned to let these things go. Next time we'll try harder. Joe
Good Fishing,
d.mcgarry

Post by d.mcgarry »

Joe, Thank you , all we did was catch fish. We just go a little slower and stay in the areas that produce during the seasonal patterns. We never leave fish to find fish, one quality bite per hour. Tim is super, it was a pleasure working with him and scary to think what he will be like in a few years. Tx Dan Bass
Dan McGarry : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York