New guy

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
masterbasser

New guy

Post by masterbasser »

I am from NJ,and I am interested in starting to participate in amature bass tournaments. I don't see myself winning yet, but I need the experience. I would like any info you guys can give me. I would like to know how they work. How to get to the next level? What kind of money is involved,winnings and to enter?Thank you. I appreciate any info given.
kdahlke

New guy

Post by kdahlke »

The first thing you should look into is getting involved with a local club. They are at minimal costs and it gives you exposure to all aspects of tournament fishing.

Once you get exposure to that then you may want to step it up to the BFL level and fish that as an amature. These cost $75 for entry fee and then you may need hotels and the sort. These are great tournaments to get into and they are located all across the nation.
johnnie crain outdoors

New guy

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

Masterbasser, welcome to the site.
When you do enter the tournaments, pay close attention to what your pro partner is doing (if he/she is catching fish). Ask pertinent questions, but don't chit chat all day, some pros just like to concentrate when the moneys on the line. Try to learn something new from each angler you fish with, maybe a new bait, new technique, new areas to fish, there's always somethinmg to learn. Try to keep your tackle organized and be ready to move at any time, some pros like to run and gun and don't appreciate having to wait for their partner to stow a bunch of tackle. You'll learn the do's and don'ts very quickly. Just be friendly, fish hard and try to help in any way you can. you'll make a lot of new friends. Johnnie
Johnnie Crain
JOE D.

New guy

Post by JOE D. »

Masterbasser,What part of new jersey are you from.I'm from south jersey,lindenwold area.I can help you out,with club info,local tournament info,or take you out for the day.But the most important thing you need before anything is casting silks.The one thing a pro hates is someone who can't cast,and is always getting hung-up.I've been tournament fishing for the last 18yrs.And this time of the year I still go out back and pitch @ flip 30mins.every day.Drop me a e-mail with your phone number,and we can get together.BIGPAPA94@AOL>COM JOE D. WWW.RETIEVERLURES.COM PRO STAFF
Don House

New guy

Post by Don House »

Masterbasser, Welcome to this great site.

Getting into tournament fishing is easy.. Here are some steps that helped me get things going..

1) Start at the local Federation level. Find a BASS Federation club around your area, you can go to http://espn.go.com/outdoors/Bassmaster/ ... links.html
click on your state, they will list local clubs in your area. If not send a email to the Federation they will be more than happy to get you hooked up with a club in your area.

Start out as a non-boater you will fish out of the back of a boaters boat. This will help you watch and learn from others. Start off slow and work your way up, once you get the hang of tournament fishing and start getting higher in the ranks, change over to a boater and drive your own boat.

2) Once you feel like your ready move up, try a more professional tournament series, like a Pro/AM tournament. You will fish again as the non-boater, but with a much more detailed Pro fisherman, these guys fish full time for a living. This is were you will really start learning tricks and how-to's.

Most tournaments will cost between 50 - 150.00 per tournament. Most Federation tournaments start around 50-75 per event. Start there and build your skills. Some day you will be fishing in a Top 150 Bassmaster tournament you can do it...

I have personnaly been down both of these roads and would not trade this time for anything. I fished with the Federation for over 6 years now as a non-boater and a boater. Then I stepped up to a larger series with SuperBass Pro/AM as an Pro and a AM for over 3 years and then took this on the water training back to the Federation ranks and have done very well in my fishing career..

So just take your time move up slow, don't worry you will have bad ones, don't give up one day it will all come together..

Good Fishing
EAT SLEEP FISH

Don House
dansfishntales

New guy

Post by dansfishntales »

In the 80's I ran an organization called Bass Wranglers Inc. It had anglers with all levels of experience, but the key was that everyone helped everyone else. This was a buddy group, and some of the teams were husband/wife - some very good husband/wife teams.

One of the anglers was not doing well for a couple of years. My partner convinced me to take him out, and show him how I fish the areas, and for what I was looking. I did, and the next tournament, Russ did a little better.

Within a year, I had Russ signed to the same pro staff teams that I was on, and he had moved up to compete in the Midwest Bass Association, for which he qualified for their year-end championship.

If you can find such a local or regional organization, of which I know are scatter across the country, then give these a try for your starting point.

By the way, Johnnie had a very good point on watching your partner. Learn from him, but don't bother with a lot of questions while you are actually fishing, especially if it is a Pro/Am or draw event. That won't go over well, especially if you have someone who is a strong concentration angler.

Good luck, and remember to have fun, because if it stops being fun, then the production level will fall off.

Best of fishing,
Dan
Dan Galusha : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Illinois