Lilli Report

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
SMbass

Lilli Report

Post by SMbass »

Caught 2LMB and 4SMB including a 5.1lb SM. The rest were 1.5-2lbs. Most were caught on a jerkbait fished over 18-24ft of water, bass were supended 12feet down. The key was letting the bait sit for as long as 20seconds. The bites were very subtle, the line would just jump ever so slightly. Water temp was 46-48 degrees. Good way to start the season.
Tim Carini
d.mcgarry

Lilli Report

Post by d.mcgarry »

Shepuag or Houstonic arm? are they still on steep areas or on points leading to flats?? Dan Bass
Dan McGarry : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
SMbass

Lilli Report

Post by SMbass »

Most of the bass were caught on the Housatonic on the outside river bends where the water was deepest. The areas had rock cover and scattered brush. The brute smallie came from an underwater ledge that has produced six smallies over five pounds for me in the past five seasons. Its my little honey hole that gets the season started right
Tim Carini
d.mcgarry

Lilli Report

Post by d.mcgarry »

Thanks for the info, I stay in the Housatonoc arm this time of year and work the Shepag later when the bass are more flat orientated. What jerkbait and did you try all the way up lake past the bluffs by the last Marina in the lake, that little bowl area can be hot this time of year??
SMbass

Lilli Report

Post by SMbass »

No I didnt go all the way up. I have 3 areas that I fish all day during this time of year and just rotate the spots. Doing that always produces one bass over 5lbs, sometimes more, including big largemouths. I go to Lilli this time of year to trophy fish. I used an "old" Smithwick Rogue, 4 3/4" in Sunburst Golden Bass. I say old because Smithwick does not make that size bait in that color anymore. Also, about 4 years ago they changed the way the bait was made, decreasing its effectiveness in my opinion. Instead of having the lips put in by hand, they were put in by machine, and the rattles are different now too. The "new" Rogues just dont catch em like the "old" ones did. Good thing I bought 50 of them in Sunburst Golden Bass a few years ago
Tim Carini
d.mcgarry

Lilli Report

Post by d.mcgarry »

Tim you should try Highland once (Trout season opens) or Pachug pond for Trophys. I like alot of the older baits for Jerk bait fishing the extra Large Rapala in perch and the rebel Spoonbill minnow both custom wheighted. Good Fishing Dan Bass