Candlewood lake

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
d.mcgarry

Candlewood lake

Post by d.mcgarry »

I had two days and two parties I guided this week on Candlewood. Tuesday and Wednesday, same people two days and different results, the party I had was trying to take my advice and use a favorable moon phase to there advantage. Tuesday we had over a dozen nice smalllies and one largmouth over 5 pounds. Wednesday saw a front and 20mph winds out of thge North West, 8 bass only one keeper best bass about 4 pounds (that means four not whieghed on a scale 3 pounds in a tournament). As usual they had a great time (another Father son team). The fishing has been spotty due to the water temp and the fact that the smallies are chasing bait in open water. If you are up that way stop in at Valley Angler for the latest fishing news(they have 4" Watermelon Senkos). Good Bassin Dan Bass
Dan McGarry : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
JoeMo

Candlewood lake

Post by JoeMo »

Good report, Dan. The report in the local News-Times by our favorite reporter suggests going outside the weeds with Sluggos for Smallies and what he calls "Bubba Shotting" for Largemouths in the weed clumps- a heavyweight variation on the Drop Shot apparently. He's always on top of the local bite.

(Actually he suggested Fin-S-Fish not Slugg-os)
Thanks again for posting. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
JoeMo

Candlewood lake

Post by JoeMo »

Dan- Tomorrow my friend Bernie Mitchell and I will use some of your tips for Candy. I think you remember Bernie.

Also I will be throwing Mike Bailey's "Flicky Worm" to grab one of those bigmouths in that famous Candlewood weed.

We'll come on board here tomorrow night to either boast or sulk. lol

Talk soon. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo

Candlewood lake

Post by JoeMo »

As I promised, we did Candlewood Wednesday morning. We set out from Lattins Cove about 10 after 6. We fished our way out of the no-wake zone with small smallies the only catch. We motored to a nearby cove that has worked well with C-Rigs and Senkos in the past. Throwing Senkos at the outside weed line again brought small fish. C-Rig managed one keeper only, so we moved up to the New Milford Arm. More of the same, but another keeper. To the Squantz cove area put a few more "almost" fish in the boat, but no really good ones. On our way south we stopped a number of times to revisit some "old finny friends". They must have been out shopping. Finally we did each manage to boat a decent fish each. They easily weighed 2-1/2 lbs. His on a Senko and mine on a crank. On our way in the cove we rounded up a few more of the "usual suspects" (mostly small smallmouths again)

We fished most of the day in from 12' to 17' except when we both used the C-Rig. Mostly that was accomplished in 20 plus feet of H2O
We did lose some decent fish in the heavy milfoil. If you didn't get their heads up, they brought 5 lbs of lettuce with them.

I never got to fish Mike's "Flicky" worm. When I opened my tackle bag, I instantly realized that I moved some boxes around the night before and the Trick worms were at home. Saturday I'll use them, Mike.

Hope this wasn't too long. Don't want to put any of you to sleep. Be well.
JoeMo
Good Fishing,