What to do on Kerr Lake in mid April

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
jeffohioteam1

Post by jeffohioteam1 »

Calling all anglers, I have a championship tournament on Kerr Lake in April of 2003, can you help me with what areas to fish and what lures are good at this time of year? Also what are the bass doing on Kerr in mid April?
Thanks Jeff Chudzinski
Ohio pro staff team
Jeff Chudzinski : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Ohio
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Hi Jeff,

I know Tim Carini has put in a good amount of time on Kerr. He has been away fishing B.A.S.S., so that's probably why you haven't heard from him yet. I would send him an email at: [email protected]

Also, you can try Dan McGarry at: [email protected]

BC
Brendan C.
SMbass

Post by SMbass »

Jeff,

I have fished Kerr in the past in May a few times. I'll give you what I know for what Kerr is like in May, it will give you a starting point.

I know the water is way up the fisrt week in May, flooded bushes, trees, even some flooded forests. Most of the shoreline is covered with flooded cover, but not all are created equal. If you see baitfish or activity of any kind, the bass will not be far away. You can get a generator schedule from the power company, and it also shows the lake pool level, and if its rising or falling. I'll see if I can dig up the number.

The bass are usually spawn to post spawn at that time. If they are bedding, it is difficult to pick them out as they are dark circles. The bottom is soft, due to the high water, and it seems the bass will fan deep into the silt till they reach the hard bottom, which is also dark clay I believe.

Jigs are always a good choice. I've done well with brown/pumpkin skirt with pumpkin trailer, usually 1/2-3/4 oz. There is so much cover you need to flip and flip fast hitting as many targets as possible, to find the bass. You can slow down once they are located. Soft-jerkbaits work well there, such as a Slug-go, in white 6". Put a swivel about 12 inches above it to help it sink. If they are biting it one day, and turn off the next day, fish it real slowly, letting in sink to the bottom, twitch hard once, and let it sink again. The locals like chartruese or white floating worms rigged the same way, and it is effective. But like I said, many locals fish that rig, thats why a use a Slug-go to give the bass a different look. Also keep your eyes open, as you can get the back of a cut and sometimes see several bass cruising in 1-3feet of water.

Nutbush and Little Nutbush creeks are popular and productive. Those areas produce some of the bigger bass in the lake, but it is also hit hard with fishing pressure. Lots of wood, especially in Little Nutbush where you can find flooded forests, and if the water is up enough, you can actually manuver the boat throuhout it. Also, going up towards the Roanoke River, from the Wilson Memorial Bridge (rt. 58), east, for about 8 miles on both sides. There is alot of cuts and covers, and flooded cover. But like I said earlier, not all of them are equal. The south side of that area has some BIG (40' and more) laydows, and can be on fire at times.

The water quality can change overnight, so pay attention to that as it can also vary within sections of the lake. If the water quality changes, you must either change your presentation or your location.

It should take between 16-22lbs a day to win, depending on conditions.

My last peice of advise is have a GPS. Kerr has many many cuts and creeks and the shoreline looks the same around most of it, so it can be difficult to navigate, and relocate your bass. Create a route you plan to run tournament morning, if it gets just a bit foggy, you can get lost in a hurry.

If you have any other questions just let me know. Make sure you post how you make out. Good luck.
Tim Carini
bobby wolpert

Post by bobby wolpert »

The club that I belong to fishes Lake Kerr every year for a 2day tourney. We normally fish it the 2nd or 3rd weekend in MAY. This year we went the 1st weekend of APRIL (6-7th). The water level was way below normal pool.A cold front came through;it got down to 28degrees Friday nite and not much warmer the rest of the weekend. The primary paterrn was C/R of main points and secondary points. Most of the guy's were using 8 inch magnum lizards ( green pumpkin) charteuese dyed tails.Most of the points around the dam is where the fishing was best. You can go to KERR LAKE . com and get the complete fishing report--- pool level-- water temp--etc. Good luck ; I'll be there in MAY
bobby wolpert

Post by bobby wolpert »

I gave you an incomplete website address, it should be -- Kerr Lake/ Buggs Island Fishing Reports.com I hope it helps.They have a lot of information about the lake -- maps-- tourney reports --reports from visitors . A lot of good stuff
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

Tim- That was one excellent lake report on Kerr. Detail like that gives a guy good info on what to look for, where to go and what to avoid.

Bobby- Thanks for posting the description of Kerr during nasty weather in April. Those days can test an angler's devotion to the sport. Especially when the bass develop lockjaw. Keep 'em coming.

Much obliged to you both. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeM - Former Message Board Moderator