tips on bass equipment?

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
crankybait

tips on bass equipment?

Post by crankybait »

hey every1, im a 12 year old new jersey kid, and ive been fishing for one or two years (crappie, mostly). i started bas fishing a few months ago, and have landed 3, about 1 pound each. but i dont think i am using the right stuff. i use:

6 pound test (i think thats my line capacity. says it on my reel, and i cant find any good reels for an affordable price)

7' graphite core medium action pole

a uni knot

large spinnerbaits.

i usually fish into coves or overhangs and reel in fast, since my spinners sink fast. the 3 bass i caught were under an overhang

i bought 8 pound rapala line (finnese), but i dont know if the line should be heavier. also, ive been considering buying a few ulta-lite lures and a lite pole with 6 pound test. any tips? thanks
me+lake+fish= 24 hours killed
RookieBassMan

tips on bass equipment?

Post by RookieBassMan »

If you are fishing from the bank and there is lots of wood structure on the bottom I would use 20lb line. It's saved me more than a few lures. Are you using a spinning rod or a baitcaster? I found the Andy Garcia baitcaster (from Wal-Mart for about $25 - $30) works real well for me. As for bait, I use strictly artificial. Mainly tubes (2" - 4"), salty fries, and palstic worms.

Hope this helps.
carl

tips on bass equipment?

Post by carl »

You might go to ask the pros on this site. You'll probably get alot more info. Just a thought. Good luck Carl
Carolina Fisher2

tips on bass equipment?

Post by Carolina Fisher2 »

One suggestion , any time I take someone starting out fishing or with not alot of experience and want them to catch bass two baits come to mind . 1) Zoom flukes , I havent found a lake yet you couldnt catch a fish on them , and I havent seen a wrong way to work them you can pick up a whole kit with hooks and everything at any walmart for $9.99 . 2) micro crankbaits , these downsized crankbaits not only catch smaller bass but alot of bluegill , yellow pirch and crappie too . Hope this helps
penguin

tips on bass equipment?

Post by penguin »

I would have to agree with Carolina on the small crankbaits. I would say to start with a shallow diver, 2-5 feet, and use a hesitant retrieve, and slow down. I have found that the big Bass cannot resist the smaller cranks. Downsize your spinners too, 1/16th to 1/8th oz.
IdahoBassSlayer

tips on bass equipment?

Post by IdahoBassSlayer »

I agree also. Crankbaits have been one of my seasonal choices. I've noticed there ain't much life around where the big ones are so if you get anything infront of one, they will hit it! I also love a spinner bait with a white skirt and a white/silver or green pig on the end. Just enough to give a little motion behind the hook. They can't resist em! hope that helps. Might try a brown or black/blue jig with some noise. hope that helps
The Idaho Bass Slayer