HELP

This is the place for off-topic posts. Have something besides fishing on your mind? Post it here. WARNING THIS AREA CONTAINS CONTENT THAT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN!!!
randy e

HELP

Post by randy e »

HI
Im thinking about trying my luck at bass tournaments next season im in another sport now and gonna retire it after this fall i want to spend the next 10 months reading studying and learning all i can about tournaments as i dont know anything about them .also i dont own a boat (yet) i live in dayton ohio if anyone coudl help me get started i would forever be grateful im 31 years old and i know its never to late to start a new hobby

thank you

randy e
JoeMo

HELP

Post by JoeMo »

Randy- You picked the right place to come for an answer. Our Pro Staff has the experience to show you how to reach your goal.
Tonight (Friday) is probably not a good night to talk with Pro Bass Fishermen. They are either on their way to a tournament or in the middle of one tonight.
However, by tomorrow or Sunday you can expect to see a number of posts specifically aimed at helping you reach your goal.
What sport are you retiring from this fall?
Football? Baseball?
Thanks for posting. Meanwhile why not take a look at the Articles Board. There is a wealth of information there to help you.
Good Fishing, JoeMo
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
randy e

HELP

Post by randy e »

joe,

thank you its greatly appreciated

i am retiring from powerlifting although im national ranked its taking its toll on my body after 14 years of lifting its time to relax
sincerly

randy e
britchie

HELP

Post by britchie »

Hey Randy its great to hear from someone from my area. I'm not to far from you. The first thing you need to do is join B.A.S.S.
Mag. this will be a valuable tool in your quest for knowledge. But don't forget to keep reading are posts as Joe mentioned.
Check with some of your local sportshops around town, see if you have any local clubs that you could join, the guys in the club would be happy to help you out. As far as your boat, Dixie Marine, in Farfield could set you up with a nice one. Check out their Web site at dixiemarine.com, they have alot of info on local tourneys on it. You may not even need a boat they could be some guys around looking for a partner to fish some team tourneys with, this would help you out in learning first hand before jumping in to things. I'm available for info anytime my e-mail is on my prostaff page, feel free to contact me anytime, I'll help you out any way I can.
Brian Ritchie : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Kentucky
brendanc

HELP

Post by brendanc »

Randy,

When I first started thinking about tournament fishing, I was faced with the same challenges as you. It's not easy to find out how and where to get started. That's why I created this website... for guys just like you.

So let me help get you pointed in the right direction. Joe and Brian are both right, joining a bass club and reading articles will get you off in the right direction and also help you figure out if this is the sport for you. Currently we have 2 clubs from Ohio signed up under our "Bass Clubs" section of our website. You can contact both of them to see if they are in close proximity to you. In addition, there is a main page for the Ohio federation, which has a list of ever club that is in Ohio. Joining a bass club will give you a chance to fish with other tournament anglers and learn the basics of tournament strategies and the tools that are required to compete.

Our Articles section will also help you see many different views that range from tips & tactics to tournament experiences.

In addition, you can use these message boards to get answers about specific questions from our ProStaff team members.

As for sitting back and relaxing, you've picked the wrong sport if that is what you are looking to do. Tournament fishing is both physically and mentally taxing. I have always been into sports since I was little. Football, baseball, hockey, martial arts and weight lifting... and tournament fishing, like any sport is also demanding on your body and mind. I always laugh when my friends and family talk to me about my tournament career... they always seem to think I'm out there with a can of beer sitting in a lawn chair or something having a nice, relaxing day on the water... (Are you sensing the sarcasm here?) And they just can't seem to understand why I pass out and go to sleep as soon as I finally walk in the door from a tournament. (I don't drink when I fish, so it's not from that)

As a competitive person, I think you will find tournament fishing both challenging and rewarding. Good luck with your endeavor and I hope we can help you along the way...

Brendan
Brendan C.
JoeMo

HELP

Post by JoeMo »

Randy- Pro Staffer Brian (River Rat) and Pres. Brendan have given you a road map to understanding what bass fishing is all about and how you can discover what you will require to reach your goal.
Brian's offer for you to contact him is typical of the Pro's on this site. They love bassfishing and talking about bassfishing.
Brendan started this Website for just this reason. Providing information to bass anglers is one of the prime purposes of BassinUSA.
I will ask you to look over all of our Message Boards. Although the Pro's answer the
Pro Staff Board primarily, they also answer inquiries on all the other Message Boards. As the Moderator, I can help direct your inquiry to the right person/persons. That is precisely why we are here.
Thanks again for posting. Let's hear from you real soon. Good Fishing. JoeMo
Good Fishing,
randy e

HELP

Post by randy e »

THANKS GUYS i can honestly say with my imvolvement in other sports i have "never" seen this kinda of comraderie

sincerly

randy
Hugh Crumpler

HELP

Post by Hugh Crumpler »

Randy-

Here are some of the business ends of tournament fishing.

1. Join BASS ANGLERS SPORTSMANS SOCIETY

2. Join FLW OUTDOORS

3. Watch both of these guys TV Shows- BASSMASTER and FLW OUTDOORS

4. Go to a tournament and learn/observe the wiegh-in and take-off. They are usually in the oposite order.

5. You will need: a set of scales
a net
a set of fish markers/ baby diapers with the plastic colored ends work when on a budget
two anchors. One for current (a rock anchor)
location markers
two drift socks
maps of every lake you fish.

Learn how to read contour maps of all kinds.

Do not listen to anyone about fishing just prior to the tournament. Most of the talk is Bull.

God Bless You,
Hugh Crumpler III
Hugh Crumpler : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Florida
JoeMo

HELP

Post by JoeMo »

Randy- Hugh's tips are right on! If I may add just one thing- after you work on the list Hugh gave you, consider joining a Bass Club.
Look them over good so that you select one that will provide you with the best opportunities to help you follow your dream.

Incidentally, I recently read a B.A.S.S. article about former rodeo rider Cody Bird.
He has fished in eight B.A.S.S. tournaments.
In the 8, he has 2 Second Place finishes, 3 seventh place, a 13th and a 14th.

As they say in the Lottery commercials- "You never know!".
JoeMo
Good Fishing,
d.mcgarry

HELP

Post by d.mcgarry »

Randy, Join Bass and a local club, fish as a non-boater and most importantly when you fish Go early and stay late, (plus go often). Listen to everything after the final wheigh-in and nothing before the tournament. Read "100 years on Bass" by Dave Hawk, "Bass Wars" and subscribe to in-fisherman. Good luck Dan Bass
Dan McGarry : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York