What topwater baits do you throw the most?

Our community is all about helping out our fellow anglers. Post general bass fishing topics here
MMT

Post by MMT »

Boinger Spook- This is a bait that came from out of the Ozarks. Marketed by Tim Hughes, the legendary custom painter of crankbaits. Although he did not invent the bait, I think he perfected it. In a recent Bassmaster they did an article about customizing topwater baits. They gave vague directions on how to make a bait similiar to the Boinger. I made one and it is good but the Hughes version is best by far.
What it is- a typical 4" spook. Cut the head off about 1/4" before the first treble. Sand and hollow out the inside but do not remove the glob of plastic that holds the hook screws. Next take piano wire in a length of about 3" and affix a brass or steel weight. You can either make it moveable or fixed. I have tried both and they work. Seal the bait back up with a heavy duty epoxy. Next move the line tie about 1/8" up so it sits just under the nose of the bait and turn the eye crossways. This helps walk the bait a bit easier.
Putting it all together-If you are good with an airbrush, paint a decent baitfish scheme. Hughes is fantastic at it as is my father who does tons of car and military models.
The bait that Hughes sells isn't a true Spook. It is a cigar shaped lure of about 3.5" but had a more extreme taper on both ends. It sits higher in the water than the traditional spook and it doesn't have hook hangers. I have one in Ozark Shad which is pearl, chart belly purple back and I've killed on it at Maho and a few other places. It makes a sound that no other bait can make. I can best describe it as a boik, boik, boik sound. Kind of the sound you make when you flick the side of your mouth as you open and close your lips. I've fished it against a traditional spook and can say that it outfishes the regular ones by about 6 to 1 or so in my tests.- Joe....you asked!
Craig DeFranzo
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

Thanks, MMT- Yes, I did ask. I'm not much of a re-modeler, but I will now go out and attempt to obtain one or more of Mr. Hughes'
creations.

Your description was right on. If it makes a sound like that, bass will gobble it. I'll let you know how I make out. Right now, I'm headed for Google.

Thanks for the super post.

PS- Watch for the mail.
Good Fishing,
JoeMo - Bassin' USA Message Board Moderator
dansfishntales

Post by dansfishntales »

Joe,
Sorry I didn't get back earlier, but I'm not sure on if the Dalton Special's hooks have improved. The last one I have is of the old collectors version, and it is on a shelf.

Anyway, if I have hook problems I just replace them with the Daiichi trebles. That solves the sharpness problem.

Your correct about the Rats and tube causing some heart problems. It teaches a person to hold on just a little longer before setting the hook. Then if you lose them - "What on earth did I do wrong?"
Dan
Dan Galusha : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Illinois
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

Dan- Today's hooks are one of the biggest differences in tackle since "those days".
I have my split ring pliers in my bag and I can do now in 5 minutes what used to take me much longer.

The last big fish I had on a Snag-Proof Tournament Frog literally tore the rod out of my hands on the hook-set. I have no idea how big he was (I might be embarrassed if he turned out to be 4 lbs.) I will own up to having serious arthritic fingers, but it felt as though I hooked a passing 18-wheeler! And this was in a tournament.
Good Fishing,
postcard

Post by postcard »

****'s is selling 'economy' Matzuo poppers, crankbaits, lipless crankbaits, etc. for $2.49 ea. The popper has caught over 100 smallmouth this year between the two of us.

matzuo

I've painted the above Matzuos with black and orange nail polish and put some super glue at the feather tie of the popper. The hooks must be sharpened and curbed for best hook sets. The minnow works as good as any jerkbait costing $7.99. Each are a perfect 2.5-3" size.

Below is a best-kept secret in my area from spring to early summer every year for the last 4 years!
in-line worm

The worm may be a 7"Trick worm or action- tail (i.e. Ringer) and can be cast back into the weeds and worked over them with pauses in the pockets. LM and pick love to slash at the rig. The spinner and tail action are a magical combo. No luck on SM yet but that's most likely a size problem.
MMT

Post by MMT »

I got the mail Joe...should go out today. My partner and I won the two day EEBA Classic yesterday on LI. Now I have some time for things that got pushed aside because of my tournament fishing.
Craig DeFranzo
MMT

Post by MMT »

I love that Tournament Frog!!! I think it is the best of the bunch although I've yet to use the Sumo frog...if it has Owners...it has to be good.
Craig DeFranzo
**DONOTDELETE**

Post by **DONOTDELETE** »

I like to throw a smaller zara puppy for a fast limit.It seems to work well around docks and other structure.Then I will throw a spook or a super spook.It seems the smallmouth prefer the larger spooks for some reason.If you have trouble working those baits try a pop r.It will also produce good strikes.
JoeMo

Post by JoeMo »

Scott J- Thanks for posting.

The smaller Spooks are good baits. My buddy John was in Mexico last Spring (El Salto)
He said if he had the biggest Spook (Super Spook?)instead of the mid-sized ones he was using, he probably would have caught even bigger bass than the 10-8 he did corral.

We appreciate your adding your comments.
We're looking forward to hearing more from you. (Such as questions for our talented Pro Staff.)
Good Fishing,
MMT

Post by MMT »

Scott do you change the hooks on the Spook? I like the Puppy also by find myself changing to Gammies or Owner st-37's
Craig DeFranzo