Who's doing what?

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
brendanc

Who's doing what?

Post by brendanc »

Had the limit. Had kickers, but needed more. That's where it gets kinda grey... when you are getting mixed sizes in the same area. One cast it's 2lbs, the next it's 4lbs. What to do? It's a judgement call at that point. I started counting the time between bites and it was about 33 minutes give or take a few. That only allows 14 fish in 8 hours if there are no "WHOOPS" in the equation. I was a bit conservative on day one with that same thought in mind... save some for tomorrow. I usually do a good job when it comes to that aspect. Sometimes you have to take those big chances to win though...

BTW - Nice to see you around, how's the new kid?
Brendan C.
Kevin Jopp

Who's doing what?

Post by Kevin Jopp »

I just fished a tournament down in South Florida for a organization called S.A.F.E.R. out of 87 boats I finished 11. The difference from 2nd to 11th was 5 lbs. Not much for south Florida. This was the first tournament I fished since my son was born 3 months ago.
brendanc

Who's doing what?

Post by brendanc »

Nicely done Kevin... and congratulations on the birth of your son.
Brendan C.
johnnie crain outdoors

Who's doing what?

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

Brendan, I sure enjoyed reading these posts about tournaments. I haven't fished one yet, not health problems just too busy working with the youth club I started and playing music. I hope to get started very soon, I want to fish some of J.T. Bagwell's events on the Miss. river. Lakes are my strong point, but can mostly hold my own on rivers. Congrats to the winners, chin up to the also rans and God bless the new babies, future bass anglers! Johnnie
Johnnie Crain
mofish

Who's doing what?

Post by mofish »

The regular season is over here. On the Texas 100 we finished in 35th Our goals were to reach the championship and finish in the top 20. We held it all year long till the last one. It was just a tough lake to fish.

In the CAST our last tournament is tomarrow the 21st. Missing the tournaments that I did really hurt us in the point standings but we did make the championship. Goal met there. Nest year will be the year we finish in the top 5 I just know it. That will be our goal.

Setting goals is the best thing you can do at the first of the year. This gives you a focal point for the year. If this is your first year to fish try to make your goals reachable goals. IF you set your self up to fail you will never gain the confidence need to continue. Example: Our #1 goal every year is to catch 5 fish in every tournament #2 make the championship. #3 cash a check in at least 2 events. #4 If number 3 is met 4 comes easy finish in the top 20. Which we almost met. I cant stress the importance of Goals and tring to reach those goals.

JoeMo asked that we put something down on what we would do to improve!
More Prefishing would be my #1 thing to do to improve our finish.
We finished in the top 40 with a 37 place improvement from last last year. The thing that hurts me the most is that I did not pre fish any of the lakes but one!!! I feel we could have finished alot better if we could have prefished more. We went to the lakes cold and just fished the basics. When all else fails go to the basics.

Well I've rambled enough. Good luck everyone. Feel free to contact me anytime if you have questions. I think sometime we fail to mention that enough.
Thanks,
Conley Staley
MMT

Who's doing what?

Post by MMT »

I wanted to wait until I got a few under my belt this season-
How is the tournament season going so far? So far I've fished 6 events. I placed 3rd, 2nd and I won the last four weekends. Good for first overall in our angler of the year standings by over 23.25lbs on 2nd place. That's my goal, to be angler of the year. My gameplan is based on being consistent. If I can bring in a limit everytime, I know I'll be right up front come the end. 2 more qual's to go. We've alreadt qualified for the Classic. My partner and I are firing on all cylinders right now. Coasting to the finish.

If you could change anything you did in a given tournament this season, what would you change and why? Never leave biting fish and never prefish with someone who is also fishing in the tournament.

Did anything you figured out last year contribute to your success or failure this year? I've relied heavily on some handpoured baits and a few off colors of jigs that I discovered last season

Is there anything you plan on changing before your next tournament? This next tx will be the first event where I am really going to plan out a solid gameplan.
Craig DeFranzo
TLaw

Who's doing what?

Post by TLaw »

I fish in an open tournament every Thurs. night. We get around 30 to 35 boats. Last week my dad & I came in 2nd place with 12-2. Before last week, we hadn't been in the money for almost 5 weeks. We caught our fish on a 4" black french fry worm and a chrome/black rattle trap. We had our limit (5) in an hour & half but all were in the 2# range except a 4# my dad caught.
brendanc

Who's doing what?

Post by brendanc »

Tlaw, Congrats on the 2nd place finish!
Brendan C.
roberts

Who's doing what?

Post by roberts »

My son Benjamin and I fish the Media Bass team circuit South La. div. We are currently ranked 7th overall in the division.

The Tournaments we didn't do well in was due mostly to not being able to pre-fish (prior commitments) we picked areas from reviewing maps. and only managed to catch some deformed fish, the ones with their heads to close to the tail.

The ones we did better in was due to finding new less pressured areas and trying new techniques on some old areas. I say areas instead of lake because I fish down here in the Louisiana Delta and there really isn't many specific lakes to bass fish just vast areas and bayous. A little interesting note Kevin Van Dam won the 2001 classic fishing many of the areas I fish.

What I would have done differently in some of those tournaments is: scout and pre-fish the areas to find the early and midday fish locations and secondly not leave biting fish.

Hope I wasn't too long winded. Thanks
Ray Roberts [email protected]
brendanc

Who's doing what?

Post by brendanc »

Ray,

Thanks for the update and congrats on holding the 7th place spot. It must be a pretty good feeling knowing that Kevin Van Dam chose to fish the same area that you fish?

Pre-fishing or pre-scouting can absolutely make the difference between a good tournament and a bad one. Its tuff when you are competing against guys that have all the free time they need to practice and some of us are limited because of our work and other commitments.

Good luck with the rest of the season!

BC
Brendan C.