Ford Big Bass Bonanza

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
Geocacher

Ford Big Bass Bonanza

Post by Geocacher »

Hi -

I have been bass fishing for a few years now as more of past time than anything else. But for some reason, I caught the "Bass Bug" and I have spent as much of my free time on the water this spring as possible. My Uncle and I will be fishing the Ford Big Bass Bonanza in Arkansas.

Has anyone fished this tournament before? Can anyone share some tips on "high water" bass fishing? The Bass have really been slow to bite this spring here in South Arkansas? Has anyone else experienced that around here?

Again, any tournament feedback would be appreciated. I hope to pre-fish our area this weekend.

Look foward to reading your feedback.
johnnie crain outdoors

Ford Big Bass Bonanza

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

Phil, give me some lake background and maybe I can help. Name of the lake, shallow, deep, rocky, weedy, how much above normal?? Johnnie
Johnnie Crain
Geocacher

Ford Big Bass Bonanza

Post by Geocacher »

Thanks for the repy.

It is in the Arkansas River, but we will be fishing an area that feeds off of the main channel. Lots of cypress and it is anywhere from 5' to 15' deep. We prefished the area this past weekend and although the finder was showing fish, we could not get but a couple bites. Everyone we spoke with said they were not having any luck. I threw everything from a rat on the lily pad cover, broken back rapala, shad, lizards, several top waters (chugger, lucky 13, buzz baits, devils horse) and I got nothing! We have had a lot of rain down here, but the water was not really dingy or up that much. I was frustrated with the amount of grass, moss etc growing... ANY tips would be helpful. This is a HUGE tournament. Biggest amatuer there is I think.

We were out there about 5 hours and out of all the fisherman, we saw one guy real in a bass that must have weighed in at less than a pound.

Thanks in advance.

Phil
6.54BASS

Ford Big Bass Bonanza

Post by 6.54BASS »

Phil, sounds like everything was fished pretty fast, how about tubes or other soft plastics (worms, flukes, etc.) fished slower? Sometimes you hit a spot 100 times, with a fish 0n the 101st, I can't call it. I would keep trying...Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.
Bryan Hinton

Geocacher

Ford Big Bass Bonanza

Post by Geocacher »

Thanks... will do. I did fish a worm and a lizard for a while. The hit I got was on a red shad culprit. I did not fish any tubes, but my Uncle used a white fluke with no luck. We plan on fishing a couple key spots. I figure it is best than zooming around trying to find that one good fish on that one lucky throw. We actually have two spots in mind. We have had no fresh water in the past week and hotter temperatures. Hopefully that will make them a bit more "hungry". I bought a new lure this weekend that I did not have (hula popper) and some Storm wildeye shad. Thought about buying some attractant, but I have never used any and don't really know what is good. At this point, I am just about willing to try anything including a spear gun.
mrbass

Ford Big Bass Bonanza

Post by mrbass »

Down size the baits and fish slower,,
if you are fishing shoreline fish tight to the bank When water is high, shore bass love to get tight to the bank,,but if the water is reciding go to the breaks & divys.
Good Luck with the tourney.
Jesus is The Answer