NEW RECORD - 5 FISH - 23 Pounds, 7 ounces

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
Frank K SCB

Post by Frank K SCB »

Brendan:
Once I saw the kind of fish that were biting, I put away the spinning rods. My main rod was an All Star (worm/jig) 6'6" rod with 16 lb Sugoi Flurocarbon. I also used two other rods that were 6'6" and 7'respectively all were Medium Heavy action with 16-20lb Sugoi Flurocarbon.

My last and best fish 5lb 5 oz had me rapped around a log and we played see-saw, back and forth for 3-5 minutes before she decided to unrap herslf. Meanwhile I,m yelling for the net and my partner is snagged on a log in the front of the boat. That made for some anxious moments.

Don't even think about 8lb test with fish like that!

Frank
Frank J. Kavanagh

mailto:[email protected]
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Frank,

I watched you fight that fish. Neil and I were coming up the oposite bank from you. I saw Kevin head for the net and by the look of your rod and the fact that it wasn't comin to the boat quickly, I knew you had a big one on.

I was wondering if you hung up because after a minute or two I saw Kevin drop the net and head back up to the fron of the boat. Now I know why...

Get's the old ticker move, eh?

BC
Brendan C.
Frank K SCB

Post by Frank K SCB »

Brendan:
A little trick that I learned when a fish raps you up. Try to get on top of the fish if you can and keep pressure on her but not to much pressure.

Allow the fish to pull you down on a tight line. Then you pull up as much as she pulled you down (but don't pull her up tight against the snag).

Keep this up and eventually she will unrap herself and try something else.

When she does that you've got her!
Frank
Frank J. Kavanagh

mailto:[email protected]
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

That's one that Hugh Crumpler showed me when I fished with him down in Stick Marsh-Farm 13. When they have their mouth open, they can't get through, if you let them pull back with slight resistance, they will close their mouth and then a gentle pull will bring them through...

Good tip...
Brendan C.
YAR

Post by YAR »

1st thing first, happy late B-DAY brendan. and 2nd congrats on that winning sack. must have been a awsome day. i know the lake you were at. i guess i'm going to have to join suffolk now.LOL. i know you must have been singing while you were playing the 7lber right. love when you sing while fighting a big fish.LOL.

now remember one thing, records are there to be broken! you know neil is going be gunning for that title again.LOL.
robk

Post by robk »

Ray, you just brought back some great memories for me. I've fished with Brendan a few times and when he's on a fish, man, does he wail out some tunes. It's almost like he's serenading the fish. I've never has so much fun and so many laughs fishing, yet, learned so much.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

LOL... yeah, singing like a bird... actually, I was too busy yelling for the net to sing.

Yes, records are ment to be broken, so I'm sure Neil and everyone else is now out to get the record... That is going to be a tuff weight to beet.

I spoke with Frank Costa yesterday who informed me that the smallie only weighed 1 1/2 lbs... So if you think about it, I actually caught a 26 lbs bag... that's the kind of day you wish you had on film!

Thanks for the congrats and happy belated birthday...

BC
Brendan C.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Holy MOLEY!!!!
I cannot STRESS what a HUGE BAG that is in the Tri-State Region.
Happy belated B-Day and Congrats on your win.
Frank....Congrats to you ... it couldn't happen to a nicer guy!!!!!
Tight Lines,
Woody
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Thanks Woody... I think I'm still recovering!
Brendan C.
johnnie crain outdoors

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

I guess I'm speachless over those catches, which most folks have never witnessed. Congrats to all, happy B.Day. Gotta get in the zone. Johnnie
Johnnie Crain