B.A.S.S. NORTHERN OPENS - DAY 1

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Well,

I was just checking the standings after day one of the B.A.S.S. Open on Onieda lake. It appears that fellow Prostaff members Tim Carini & Eric Picarella had a tuff first day.

Hang in there guys, today is another day and there is always a chance to turn things around.

Eric and Tim, I know that you won't read this until you get back, but I just wanted to let you both know that I am rooting for you guys.

Good luck out there... and never give up!

Brendan
Brendan C.
johnnie crain outdoors

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

Tim and Eric, I have confidence you'll overcome the changes you are facing and make a good showing. Good luck to you both, we're pulling for you. Johnnie Crain
Johnnie Crain
JT_BAGWELL

Post by JT_BAGWELL »

I just saw the final standings for the Northern Opens, does this mean that Eric and Tim will not be on the Pro Tour next year? Or can they qualify through another avenue?

Good Luck Guys.

JT Bagwell
Jeremiah Bagwell : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Illinois
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Jeremiah,

B.A.S.S. has been changing their format around over the past few years. To honest, I really not sure how it works anymore...

I'm sure Tim or Eric could answer that question.

It looks like they both were able to locate more fish on day two.

Tim was able to bring in a 5 fish limit for about 10-lbs and Eric brought in 5 fish for 11-08. (Nice job guys)

I think we all would be interested in hearing from both Tim and Eric on how this event played out. What challenges did you both encounter? Tim and I had been discussing his strategy for the practice days and I know he had many variables to consider. When you put over 150 boats on a lake like Oneida, it tends to fish real small. Tim was going to look for fish up in the Erie canal and from his last call to me, it sounded like that plan may have been in jeopardy by a late notification of a 5mph speed limit in certain sections of the lock systems. This made traveling to his spots even more difficult. I'll leave the rest of the details to Tim...

BC
Brendan C.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

I need to send a congratulations out to Swift Spaulding from our Maryland prostaff. Swift finished 30th in this event. Here are his stats:

Day 1: 5 10-02 Day 2: 5 14-08

#Fish Weight Points CASH
10 24-10 146 $1,700.00

I strong comback on day two moved Swift right up into the money. Nicely done Swift!
Brendan C.
SMbass

Post by SMbass »

hi guys,

As Brendan stated, my plan was to lock out of the lake into the Erie canal.....but once again BASS showed its disorganization. Calling tournament officials prior to the event I was told I can lock through......and at the meeting night before the first day of competition it was stated that anglers can NOT lock through any locks. Go figure. But that didnt matter, as I was so sick that I with my 3 practice days, one day was a half day and the day before the tournament I stayed in to try and get in better health for the first day.

I skipped the second tournament this season so not being in the points race I swung for the fence on day one. I had found some big smallmouths scattered on the inside weedline with rock mix witha spinnerbait. Did that most of the first day catching only 1 SM for 3lbs 11oz and lost another the same size at the boat....oh well lol. Day two i went out just to save face fishing the shoals with a tube to catch a small limit. Day one was a misserable day with 25mph winds, 30degree temps and hail the size of peas.....not what you want when you have a 100degree fever to begin with lol. Guys that ran to the East end of the lake said it was the ruffest water they ever saw....anglers who have fished Erie and Ontario many times in the past. A bass boat capsized that day.....and the Coast Gaurd rescue boat.....a 25 footer capsized during the rescue and then they needed to be rescued too lol. It was a nice lake, but can not handle a tournameent of this sizze, nor could the launching ramp or area we had to dock to weigh in....I would be surprised if BASS ever has another event there.....Day 3 was cancelled due to weather....guess they didnt want to loose anymore boats.

Jeremiah, I will not be on the Pro Tour this year, i skipped the second event due to financial reasons.....knowing I could not afforrd the TOur again this winter. Time for me to step back a bit and recoupe financially and give it another go next season.
Tim Carini
JT_BAGWELL

Post by JT_BAGWELL »

Tim,

At least you gave it your best. Having been on the tour last year, now you have a better understanding of what it takes to stay there. So I am sure you will resolve the issues and be back there soon.

Best of luck to you.

JT Bagwell

Ps: I am leaving for Kentucky Lake in the morning to fish a tournament there Wed-Fri. I will return home saturday evening and fish a tournament here Sunday. So basically that means I won't be able to check this message board for a week.
Jeremiah Bagwell : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Illinois
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Tim,

Thanks for the update. Hopefully you are able to get back in there next season.

Jeremiah,

Good luck with your tournament(s). We'll be here when you get back...
Brendan C.