Things I want to change

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
ukey28

Things I want to change

Post by ukey28 »

So the season is over and we all look back on how we did. What are we going to change, what are we going to do differently, What mistakes can we correct? What are you going to do next year? I'll give you one of my changes. I'm going to get back to fishing a worm. I've gotten away from it and use a tube or jig n' pig or finesse fished fry when I go to soft plastics. The last few trips of the year I started using a texas rigged worm again and Shame On Me! Good fish and good numbers. I don't know why I got away from it, but I did. Next year I'll use it more. Another thing I'd do is fish deeper. I fish with some power fisherman and I've taken on their techniques at the expense of my own. When I do fish deep, I no longer feel as comfortable as I used to. This is another aspect of my game that needs work. How about the rest of you out there, what are you going to do to improve your game??
Frank
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
brendanc

Things I want to change

Post by brendanc »

Nice post Frank... I can tell you that I have set out to get a better grasp on fishing deep open water structure. That was my focus this year and will continue to be my focus next year. I will stick with it until I feel very confident that I can win tournaments using the various knowledge and techniques I have worked on.

I also plan on fine tuning my skills in following migrating bass in early spring in Highland Reservoirs.

How about the rest of you? What's on your plate for 2004?
Brendan C.
Don House

Things I want to change

Post by Don House »

One of the biggest things I need to work on this year is to find some sponsers to help me fish more this coming year.

But as far as my fishing goes, I need to spend more time working on a game plans before each tournament. Putting together a plan for each tournament with backup plans is really needed, too many times I have found myself doing the same old thing.

I need to break my seasons up and fish as needed, Early Winter, Snapping a stickbait, Spring Using Flukes, Lizards and Tubes around beds, Summer Big worms and crankbaits everythings goes back to having a game plan...

As far as what I'm doing when I fish, I'm like everyone else, I have my strong points like deep water fishing. Drop shot, Spooning, and Split Shot those are my strong points, Cranking and flipping need more time there..

Next spend more time looking and fishing new water and way's to fish them. Finding new holes that are not community holes on my lakes around Missouri.

These are just some of the changes for next year, and biggest of all is try to have more fun doing them, life is too serious, we all need to have some fun...

Good Luck to Everyone

EAT SLEEP FISH

Don House
carl

Things I want to change

Post by carl »

I'm getting rid of all the high faluten baits I bought this year. I didn't like'm and had no success with them. Back to my old reliable plastics.
mofish

Things I want to change

Post by mofish »

I want to work on being a better deep water fisherman too. Deep cranks are one of my many weak points. More prefishing before a tournament would be nice. A few sponsors to help with some of the expences would be nice but not a requirment. I'm gonna fish anyway no matter if I have them or not lol. :p
They would just help with some bigger tournaments.

Bit of advise on those that are just starting out in this great sport of tournament fishing!

Start out slow!! I started out fishing a few small local tournaments and thought I was pretty good and then stepped up the next year and got my tail kick on the BFL's. It hurt my confidence and I am still recovering. lol.

If you are just starting out join a good team club were you are fishing with others. Learn all you can before you invest your hard earned money. That way when you do you can hopfully get a better return that what I did.

Oh yes and get your wife or girlfreind envolved with you. My wife and I fish a couples tournament and it is great. Sure makes it easier to explain why you need this or want that when she is right there in the boat with you and see what is going on.

I also want to commit more time in teaching others what I know of fishing. I want to get more kids envolved and more adults too.

Conley
Thanks,
Conley Staley
brendanc

Things I want to change

Post by brendanc »

Carl,

I hear you on that one... I thankfully found out very early on in the game to "Not get caught up in the hipe". If something new comes out that looks like is going to be the next "wonder bait", I'll first talk to other anglers who have already used the bait before rushing out to buy some.

You can't go wrong sticking with the basics... and you will become more consistant if you do...
Brendan C.
bassin butch

Things I want to change

Post by bassin butch »

Frank I like you also got away from fishing worms that over my life produced good quality fish. I learned many lessons in 03: Go back to my trilene line, spend time sharpening hooks better, close my ears to dock talk, inspect my rod eyes frequently, slow down, position my boat better before making a good cast on a windy day. Dont take a guy pre-fishing who will be your competition on tourney day.

Bassin Butch
MMT

Things I want to change

Post by MMT »

Two things-I want to go back to the way I used to fish before I started fishing tournaments and I want to get a better grasp on operating my new boat.
Craig DeFranzo
dansfishntales

Things I want to change

Post by dansfishntales »

A few years ago I developed a basic lure system with colors and styles. I plan to stick with it, and research the data base in my computer's fishing log. This tells me what lures have worked best for condtions and seasons, depending on how I switch the information section.

On the other fronts I plan on getting my radio show up and running earlier this year, and trying to finally get my TV show back into production, in its new format. There are 4 different companies as possibilities, but nothing is solid on any of them. A bit different than tournament fishing.

If Johnnie and I can find a good buddy circuit we are going to team up and fish some tournaments.

By the way, the suggestion about the couples tournaments is very good. My old Bass Wranglers circuit had some very good husband and wife teams, that were hard to beat. There is one called Guys & Dolls, which has been very popular in this format. It is nice to involve the wife or girlfriend. As if I'm one to be speaking since I'm single. However, I've seen a lot of "splits" throughout my career, and those have mainly been with the guys who don't take their "ladies" fishing. I know, some don't want to go, but I've heard others say they would, and are not invited.

A lot of this wasn't exactly what was asked, but as normal, I got going from one thing to another.

Best of fishing,
Dan
Dan Galusha : Bassin' USA Prostaff : Illinois
ukey28

Things I want to change

Post by ukey28 »

After looking over what everybody had to say, one common thread jumped out from the comments. We all want to get back to basics. Soounds as though we all feel we strayed from our strengths in search of some grail that would take us to the next level. I can tell you from experience the only thing that makes you better is practice. Fish all you can and be focused when you do. One more thing for the competitive tourney guys. Thing about making a real effort to get in shape. The fatigue you feel at the end of a tournament day robs you of focus and aggression. Most of us work an eight hour day that doesn't involve the muscle movements that are required to maintain our stability on a boat, add that exertion to the sun or rain beating down and by hour 5 youv'e lost a lot of the game face you had at 7 am. Get that cardio in better shape and do some walking too. Strengthen those abs so the back holds up for the WHOLE day and maybe the second or third, after you make the cut. Thanks for responding.
Frank
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York