Big Reed Pond

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
New Wave

Big Reed Pond

Post by New Wave »

Big Reed Pond, any one fish it? Its a rought ride to get back to the water, and i have never fished it. I was wondering if anyone has been there recently(last fishing season or so) and how they did. I also heard of a body of water called Hook Pond and was wondering if anyone knew how to get there? Any info would be grea

-New Wave
brendanc

Big Reed Pond

Post by brendanc »

New Wave... It just so happens that you've named two of the Top Ten ponds on Long Island. Big Reed is just what it says... "Big" as in the fish, and "Reed" as in the available cover. Definitely make the trip, it's worth taken a day for.

As for hook, it's another great pond... Getting there, you take 27E like you would to goto Montauk PT, but when you come to the "T" in the road where you would normally make a left to head towards the dunes, you'll want to take a right. I'm not sure of the stree names, but it is pretty easy to see on a Hagstram map.

Enjoy!

BC
Brendan C.
d.mcgarry

Big Reed Pond

Post by d.mcgarry »

Big Reed is a good pond that used to be excellant, unfortunatley a ten years ago all the lily pads died from some thing and I have been there a couple of times and caught alot of bass in the 12"to 18" size range with one maybe going 4 pounds all during the summer and all when it was not nice on Fort pond. Hook is private and has alot of nice fish in it but park at your own risk. If you want to take chances parking try Big Fresh pond in my opinion the best Bass lake on Long Island (not the one in Hither Hills). I fished Laurel lake last year in the spring and had two banner days there, but it is a long portage to the water. Good Fishing Dan Bass
Dan McGarry : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York